2yo with Bowed Tendon

So Im looking for previous experiences here or advice!

American Kiss

I just had a 2yo colt bow a tendon during workouts. He’s only raced twice. Born Apr 9/2024. I don’t believe in starting the 2yo’s until they have actually turned 2 by birthdate. He started training the end of march (28th) with first race on Apr 23, second race June 15. My question is has anyone experienced this before? Is it worth giving him the time off (min 2-3mths) and bringing him back or just retire him? Does he still have a chance at a successful career on the track ?

I’ve had 2yo’s come back from bowed tendons. To me, my 2yo’s tend to be messy when they’re healthy so sidelining one for a few months doesn’t both me. Plenty of years left to race him.

1 Like

Not exactly the same scenario but I had an AP colt who didn’t race at 2 and bowed a tendon at 3. He made a full comeback and has won a couple races since his injury, so I’d say there’s definitely plenty of career ahead!

1 Like

I KNEW I had a horse who bowed a tendon at 2 and managed to come back. Maybe not the best example since she bowed twice before I retired her, but Serafina was a SW/MSP at 3 and ran 3rd in her 2yo debut after bowing at 2 before she could even make her debut. So it is possible!

1 Like

3 to 4 months off and you will soon know when they return to racing. With a 2yo I’d scrap the season and wait for next year

2 Likes