2x3, 4x4

I’m not a horse person so

2x3, 4x4 etc are lumber dimensions to me :stuck_out_tongue: just what do they represent and how are they

figured in a horses lineage :blink:

just a befuddled old man :rolleyes: aking a question

If you look at a horse’s pedigree, it’s basically a chart.  2x3, 4x4, etc are positions on that chart to represent duplications in that pedigree.

0 = the horse itself
1 = 1 generation back (the parents)
2 = 2 generations back (the grandparents)
etc.

So a horse that is 2x2 means that 2 horses who share a parent were bred together…i.e. 1/2 siblings producing a foal.  To date, there is only one horse in the game with this high a level of inbreeding (High On Love).  Now that breeding checks more carefully for inbreeding, this level of inbreeding is not recommended, but it can/will make High On Love a good “outcross” sire (i.e. he should cross well with mares who have no Highland Rogue blood).

Generally the highest people go as far as counting pedigree crossing is 5 (i.e. 4x5).  This is because once you get to the 5th generation back (great-great-great-great grandparents) there is virtually no effect on the horse.

You can also do more than 2 numbers.  For example, Winning Colors is 4x4x5 to Nasrullah.

Some people also add letters to designate where the inbreeding occurs.  i.e. 4Sx4Dx5D, which indicates 1 appearance in the 4th generation on the sire’s side, and 2 in the 4th/5th generations on the dam’s side.

Thanks for the explanation

:slight_smile: