2025 How’d You Do?

Ended up spending significantly more than I had anticipated, but I was able to get all of my top choices. My main goal was to add some serious performance power to the broodmare band. I knew prices would be crazy this round…so hopefully the kids show up on BC day to win some money back. :sweat_smile:

After years of stalking our old homebred hoping she’d pop up for sale, I am ecstatic to bring home NCh. Lovers’ Duel. We sold her as a 2yo so naturally she went on to win 14 stakes races and over $6M in earnings. Broke the bank at $7,000,500.

Pink Slew is the dam of MSW GCh. Diamond Rose and SP 2yo Feldspar, whom we both own. Comes in foal to Phenomenal. Went higher than anticipated for her at $5,000,500.

Now for the bargains haha.

GCh. Highland Crown is a MSW half sister to 1 MSW, 1 SW, and 2 SP horses. I only have one young daughter of Express Yourself and wanted one for the broodmare band. Bought for 25k.

GCh. Royal Fanfare is a MSW of $3.5M. I wanted a daughter of Long Live the King and with a created dam, I’m hopeful. Bought for 25k.

Not on our original list, but decided to make our fifth and final purchase Frost Warning, a yearling colt by Frosted. Not sure if Frosted will stick around long as a FF stallion, so picked this boy up. Dam is a MSW Ring of Fire daughter. Bought for 25k.

2 Likes

Glad you got your girl back @Shelbie. Definitely a big spending auction this year. I’ll post my haul a bit later :slightly_smiling_face:

Really pleased to get my top 5 choices, 3 for their reserves. All broodmares/broodmare prospects. Not that I need more of those but sometimes the ponies are too nice to turn down.
GCh Blowing Kisses is a daughter of What’s Your Point, out of Platinum ranked Don’t Ask. She’s a MSW on turf and although none of her progeny have shown much to date, I’m hoping she’ll do better going forwards. $25,000

Ch Bubblicious was the most expensive at $2,160,500 - a bit more than I hoped to pay for her but she’s another out of a Platinum mare (Candyland) by I’m Your Angel who I don’t have any other stock by. She’s also MSW on turf. She’s had 3 foals, the eldest is a 2yo but hasn’t raced yet.

Eucalyptus was sold as a racehorse but I’ve retired her to broodmare duties. She was one of three daughters of Platinum ranked Keep The Kitty in the auction and was probably the ‘worst’ performer on the track but she’s still SW, MSP (again on turf) and I’m glad to get her for her $25,000 reserve.

RadioCity Rockette was my number 1 choice so really happy to have her. I think she was a relative steal at $200,500 as she was a MSW at 2, winning 3 Grade 1s. She still needs another three starts to be eligible for broodmare duties but at 6 is unlikely to improve on her current record. I’ve sent her to the farm for a break as she’s been at the track for about 3 years. Once she’s freshened up a bit the plan is to target some allowance races, purely to get the final three starts she needs for breeding duties.

Similarly, Luna Llena is also a 6yo racemare. She needs another 4 starts to be eligible for broodmare status so will follow a similar plan to Rockette. Luna was a MSW on dirt and won her only stakes start on turf. A steal at $25,000.

2 Likes

I wish I had known this beforehand. Lovers’ Duel is an absolutely gorgeous mare and I tried so hard to get her, but in the end, I couldn’t justify spending any more than the bid got up to. Still, if I had known she was a sentimental favorite for you, I wouldn’t have bid. :sweat_smile:

In the end, I gave up on two of my top picks, Devil’s Walk and Lovers’ Duel, but still feel like I came home with some decent purchases.

NCh. Bandit’s Love - $775,500 - This girl is “stud qualified” with 9 stakes wins (3 G1s) and 11 stakes places (5 G1s), with over $2m in earnings and wins in sprint, classic, and endurance dirt races. She is currently silver-ranked and comes in foal to Calle de Oro.

GCh. Undercover Agent - $300,500 - This girl only has an unplaced 3YO filly to her name, but she is only one stakes win shy of being “stud qualified” and is sitting pretty at over $4m in earnings, so I think she could have some serious potential.

Ch. Dreaming of Spring - $25,000 - More of a last-minute “Why not?” purchase, this daughter of Nightfight is a SW/MSP turf runner. Nightfight is a gold-ranked broodmare sire, so I thought she was worth the investment for the price paid.

Possesive - $25,000 - Technically still a racehorse at 7 years old, I feel like this one has a lot of potential as a broodmare. I’ve never owned a Strider foal, so this adds a bit of variety to the bloodlines I’ve got. She’ll need a lot more racing before I can retire her to broodmare because she was only raced 3 times, all at 3 years old, but she was in the top 2 for all of the races she ran in and is just shy of half a million in earnings. She even came in 2nd to Ablative Armor in the G1 Australian Derby.

Mandalorian (Ablative Armour x Hazari) - $25,000 - Purchased this guy as an unnamed weanling and was rather surprised to find this name wasn’t already taken. He was bred for classic dirt, so super excited to see how he does.

1 Like

-phew- I’m so glad I was even able to bid on this auction because things were not looking good there! We got hit by Hurricane Ida last week, and we were without power, internet, and water until Sunday or maybe yesterday? I keep forgetting the days lol Thankfully, we evacuated after the fact (because its ungodly hot in southern LA) and I was able to get internet in time. (#simmingproblems) We’re safe! Minimal damage for us, but not so lucky for others. Bragging on my auction wins is a nice distraction.

We didn’t get our top pick, Devil’s Walk, but did come home with a stallion at least!

GCh. Turnpike Wannabe (ICh. Candidate (S) x Expressway Kiss (G))
Not sure how he’s going to turn out as a stud really, even though his oldest crop is 4, many seem to be inactive. I will be diving deeper into what his foals have done once things settle down, but we’re very happy to have added to our stallion roster. He’s also the only Candidate son at stud.
WON: CTBA Stakes, Cicada Stakes, Aegon Turf Sprint, Poker Handicap, Breeders’ Cup Turf Sprint, Bold Ruler Breeders’ Stakes, City and Suburban Handicap, and Queen Elizabeth Stakes.
Most expensive at $3,000,500

GCh. Iotians (ICh. Unabridged (S) x Indy Bride (G))
Half to Ch. Icheb & Ch. Invidium. Dam is half to NCh. Nightshade. MSW, MSP, and winner of nearly $1M.
WON: Schuylerville, SA Derby, and Humana Distaff
Bought for $36,000

Ch. Crown Treasure (WCh. Strider (G) x GCh. Keep the Kitty (P))
Also one of the 3 mares out of Keep the Kitty, we originally wanted Eucalyptus because I liked her name, but very happy to score one of these mares. MSW, MSP, and winner of nearly $500k.
Half to GCh. Highland Treasure & Ch. Eucalyptus
WON: Up and Coming Stakes & Champion Fillies
Bought for reserve $25,000

Ch. Midnight Hour (ICh. Highland Magic (S) x Black Clouds (G))
I actually leased Black Clouds from Black Storm but got a colt when I wanted a filly, so very happy to bring her home! She’s half to Ch. Nexus and Ch. Bespeckled. MSW, MSP, & winner of nearly $900k.
WON: Fountain of Youth & Wood Memorial

Ch. High on Sugar (FFCh. High Chances (S) x Ch. Candyland (P))
Half to Ch. Lieutenant Uhura, Ch. Bubblicious, and Ch. Sweet Treat. MSP and winner of nearly $300k.
OTB: Sunshine Millions Oaks, San Felipe Stakes, Skipat Stakes, Ruffian Stakes, Del Mar Breeders’ Cup Handicap

1 Like

Oh my goodness! Glad you’re safe.

1 Like

@willagrey - glad to hear you’re safe.

1 Like

@willagrey - Good to hear you’re safe and that damage was minimal!

As a small stable, even picking up some horses was breaking the bank, lol. Went in with the strategy of picking up some ‘cheap’ diamonds while everyone was distracted by the big shiny horses, but even that way I was outbid on most of the ones on my list. Managed to pick up 4 that should prove their worth in the future, though!

Sands of Egypt
(Gch. Akhetnaten (S) x Wind of Miriah (G))
2016 broodmare with no foals on the ground yet. There’s a bunch of talent in her lines, with her two older 1/2 siblings both producing SWs and basically I just have a good feeling that she might make a successful broodmare.

Twenty Four Carat
(ICh. What’s Your Point (G) x Carat (G))
2017 broodmare with a 2024 and 2025 foal on the ground. Lots of silver and gold ranked mares in her lines, so curious to see what she’ll bring.

Tattletale
(ICh. Witness (S) x No Telling (G))
2018 racehorse that will definitely head to the breeding shed soon. Wasn’t even on my list, but when the No Telling weanling filly that was went up to $200k+ I made an impulse purchase. We’ll see how it pays off haha. Tattletale herself has been a very consistent racehorse, with 3 wins and 3 places in just 10 starts, including an SW.

Noctifer
(NCh. Fight the Twilight (B) x Ch. Tragic Kingdom (S))
Yearling colt with a nice combination of lines. Sire / BM Sire cross has already produced a millionaire and only 1/2 sibling that has actively raced has been very successful, winning 6/12 starts, so high hopes for this little dude.

4 Likes

Nice choices. Good luck with them. The bargains usually turn out to be the best ones!

1 Like

She looked a beauty, sorry to push up the bids, I went way over what I set but your pockets were still deeper - good luck with her.

I always like a mix, a few racers and a few broodmares to breed for the future.

This bloke was my pick, a real stud potential View Horse: Windy Flag although he was a stretch at $900k

1 Like

That’s ok, you weren’t that far off in outbidding me to be honest.

Good luck with Windy Flag

1 Like

I had absolutely no intention of buying any horses in this auction… I went in to window shop:woman_facepalming:t2:
and there’s always one… :laughing:

Beautiful Is Gone is a Gold ranked mare out of Tiznow. Dam has Storm Cat and Mr. Prospector lines and while she wasn’t all that impressive on the track herself, her foals are. With 5 foals on the ground, her first born is quite the rockstar with a GCh. title and MSW, MSP and Millionaire. She comes in foal to Lake Highlands (I’m a sucker for Highland lines :weary:) bought for $25k

and that’s all! taking my butt back to the barn and staying lol

3 Likes

I went back and bought a 6th. Oops.

FINAL purchase Fierce Toy, 3yo filly by Too Stressed out of Blush True (create). Despite FF management she’s SP, which was our main reason for buying her. Hoping with proper training she will be really nice. 25k.

2 Likes

I told myself I’d only go to look and ended up with 8… always seems to be the way :sweat_smile:
Most of my buys were broodmare purchases as if I need more, but a I grabbed a couple young horses to add into my upcoming crops. Tried my luck at some of the more expensive ponies, but I decided to save my money for another time lol.

Good As Gold (NCh. Void (S) x Lit de Lilly (G))
2014 Broodmare that is my 3rd horse out of Lit de Lilly now! Her half sister I have that is still running is MSW and this mare was MSP in her prime. She only has 2 foals currently with only 1 running under FF management. Hopefully she carries on the great producer record of her dam line!

Chang’e (Ch. Moonopoly (B) x My Fair Lady (G))
2015 broodmare that was a SW in steeplechase. Not a spectacular racer from what I can tell of her record, but her dam line is pretty stunning. Her only foal is under FF management so not a real indicator of what she can do in the breeding shed, but I’m hoping for a couple nice foals out of her.

It’s About Time (FFCH. High Chances (S) x WCh. Worth My Time (B))
2016 broodmare who was MSP in her racing days. Like with the other mares her only racer is under FF management so I can’t be sure of what she can produce, but time will tell.

Wren (NCh. I’m A Classic (S) x Ain’t Afraid To Die (S))
2017 broodmare who I mostly bought because I wanted to add an I’m A Classic mare into my string. She was SP in her racing days, and has 3 foals so far. Her yearling colt was sold in this auction so hopefully next year I can track how he runs to get an idea of what she’s capable of!

Linette (NCh. Clockstopper (S) x GCh. Airy Heiress (S))
2017 racehorse who’s last race was in 2021! So I’ll see if she wants anything to do with running through the end of this year, but most likely she’ll be set forth to broodmare duty right away come January. She won the 1 stakes race she ran, and did well on both dirt and turf so she might be a bit more versatile with what she produces.

High Flying (NCh. Lake Highlands (B) x Ch. Keep Dreamin’)
2024 Colt, a young one finally! This boy’s dam is a MSW turf horse and I’m crossing my fingers that he earns back his purchase price at least.

Caught One (NCh. Lake Highlands (B) x Night Catcher (S))
2024 Filly who is half sister to MSW Beaten Path who unfortunately passed from a heart attack earlier this year. Her other half siblings who are racing are under FF management so I can’t be sure the chances of her replicating her sister’s success, but I’ll just have to wait and see.

Ocean Potion (NCh. Crafty Magic (B) x Uncharted Waters)
2024 Filly who I may have bought just so I could name her this :shushing_face: Her dam was SW & MSP though so she could turn out to be a nice racer herself!

Ended up going back and picking up another six :speak_no_evil:. None of them were on the original list but hopefully there might be a few with promise. All purchased for the $25,000 reserve.

Lovely Irish a MSP daughter of Carrowmore. Retires to broodmare duties and likely to visit Sionnach next season.

Murrumbidgee a MSW daughter of Highland Wizard. She won a stakes on all three surfaces. One unraced foal on the ground.

Lots Of Love a yearling daughter of Blowing Kisses. Purchased to try and improve on her dam’s record as a producer although I’m not sure how she’ll fare as a daughter of Run Jenny Run - sire and dam are both by What’s Your Point.

Martha Jane another yearling daughter of Run Jenny Run, out of a SW SP Foolhardy daughter who traces back to Townsend Holly and Townsend Prince.

One Way a yearling daughter of Sunday Paper. I owned the granddam for a while, sold her after one foal and of course she’s now platinum ranked. I still have the mare I bred, a MSW who’s showing promise as a broodmare so thought this filly should at least earn back her purchase price.

Fighting Talk - the only colt I bid on. By Turnpike Wannabe out of a MSW Nightfight daughter. Granddam is Gold ranked. I couldn’t find a horse with the same/similar name although have a feeling there should be so if anyone can correct me please let me know.

Went back for one more. :sweat_smile:

Ch. Hot Gold, broodmare by Steal Your Heart. She’s SP and a multi-winner on turf and SC. I picked her up because I don’t own any Steal Your Heart foals. Her one foal is FF-owned, so hard to tell what she might do in the shed.

I went into this auction swearing I would not buy any more broodmares. I came out with 5 broodmares and 1 racer who will become a broodmare when she hits 10 races on her record. Lol.

Added 2 more purchases after my last post. Both were picked up for the $25,000 reserve.

First was Double Malt, a SP daughter of Ring of Fire. I didn’t have any Ring of Fire mares, but after getting Powerful Soul (damsire is Ring of Fire) stud qualified, I really wanted to see if I could get my hands on a Ring of Fire mare. Fingers crossed Mantle of Power sticks around long enough for me to try getting another Mantle of Power/Ring of Fire cross in the stable.

Second extra purchase was My Ambition, a SW/MSP granddaughter of my old girl, Executive Session. Thank you again to Imagine for letting me know she was in the auction, 'cause I apparently completely overlooked her while getting distracted by all of my more expensive purchases.

1 Like

Good luck with both. I bred Double Malt, I hope she proves to be a good broodmare for you.

1 Like

I own two granddaughters of Executive Session, including one who just retired to broodmare. Good luck with her!

1 Like