2025 Annual 2YO Auction - How'd You Do?

Despite no one really catching our eye and having a pretty hefty 2yo team already…we brought home 3. :sweat_smile: At least we only paid 1k apiece!

Brawny Thing, NCh. Straticus x KeepmeintheDark - The Black
She’s already raced once, but as she was FF-owned, we’re not giving it much thought. She’s half to 50% winners, but more importantly her granddam is platinum and produced the stallion NCh. Quintet. Hoping with actual management she’ll do well.

Floating Veil, NCh. Bellagio x Ch. Princess Seven - ICh. Prince of Wonder
Dam was a SW on the dirt, and her only other foal is FF-owned and placed. Granddam is gold-ranked, and we’ve had extremely good luck with Prince of Wonder as a damsire. July baby, so won’t hit the track for awhile.

Sunny Advice, NCh. Exit Poll x Ch. Tenderheart - ICh. Alley Cat
As I was making this post I realized I had meant to bid on a different colt, but I don’t love the correct horse enough to bring home a 4th. June baby and bred to be a late bloomer. This will be fun. :laughing:

3 Likes

We had absolutely no intention of buying any horses whatsoever… but after window shopping which turned into just placing a couple of bids to…well… we welcomed 5 new babies to the barn today :sweat_smile: thankfully they all came with light $1k price tags :woman_shrugging:t2:

Agreeable Belief - NCh. Straticus x Ch. Easterner (Black Legend)
14.1h Bay Colt
Dam is SW & SP with a Bronze (1.6) breeding rank producing 2 SP foals so far.

Broad Angle - GCh. Simply Heroic x Ch. Dock Of The Bay (What’s It Worth)
15.2h Bay Filly
Dam is SW & MSP with a Bronze (2.6) breeding rank producing 1 SP foal.

Rough Watch - ICh. Blue Smoke x Ch. Dixieland Lane (created)
17h Bay Filly
This young lady is already a monster in the barn towering over all the other new arrivals! Her dam is MSP with a Bronze (1.0) breeding rank producing 1 SP foal. She was a turf runner but untried at SC. I’d be curious to see the jump trials (if any), with legs like those fences would be a breeze :sweat_smile:

Serious Visitor - NCh. LiveLong&Prosper x Ch. All For Slew (Seattle Slew)
14.3h Bay Colt
Dam is MSW & SP with a Bronze (.1) breeding rank. Most foals are FF owned or in the hands of inactive stables.

And last but certainly not least (and also the only non bay I picked up)

Tart Moonbeam - Blame x Ch. Dashing Illusions (GCh. Go For Dash)
14.2h Drk Gry Filly
I couldn’t pass this little lady up. Her cute little face and nameplate on her halter sold me (or rather her!) Dam is SW & MSP with a Bronze (1.1) breeding rank. She hasn’t seen any foals reach a stakes placing but hopefully we can change that!

2 Likes

I only had four 2y/o’s before this auction so I definitely went in to get as many as possible hahaha. I also had a lot of fun going through the auction list attempting to spot diamonds in the rough.

Solid Sun, WCh. Sponsored x Crystal Diamonds - Strider
Gigantic filly out of an unproven mare. She has one older sibling that’s a 3y/o winner. Her dam comes from a line with quite some champions, with her granddam who’s produced three GCh.’s and her older ½ sibling producing 4 GCh. And NCh. Away The Lads. Hoping some of that talent reached her part of the pedigree.

Wry Offer, NCh. Player x Ch. CatchMeIfYouCan - WCh. Highland Bandit
Dam is a SW who peaked at 3 and most of her foals are FF owned. His sire/BM sire shows some promise and his granddam produced the stallions NCh. Sneak Peek and WCh. Double Cross. He’s also our first addition by NCh. Player, so always nice to add new lines to our herd.

Like Pleasure, FFCh. I’m No Fool x Affirmative Lady - Affirmed
A bit of a wild card since almost all of his ½ siblings are FF or inactive stables owned. Honestly, I just wanted to add a horse by FFCh. I’m No Fool to my herd haha. There’s definitely some very decent talent in his damline as well, so let’s hope he can tap into that!

Long Cord, Deep Impact x Slew o’ Magic - GCh. Must Be Magic
Once again – unproven dam with a lot of FF-owned foals – I sense a theme in my buying decisions. :wink: Once again I’m mainly excited about this fellow because of the talent shown in the better managed parts of his damline. His granddam is goldranked and his dam has a bunch of silver+ ranked ½ siblings.

Sedate Mark, ICh. First Born Son x Ch. Debauchery - Secretariat
Dam is a SW who has a nice OTB percentage. Yet again her progency is a bit of a black box with mainly FF owned horses, but her dam (so, Sedate’s granddam) produced NCh. Devil May Care.

1 Like

Realizing I may have a bit of a shopping addiction :sweat_smile: 5 new babies now call Black Briar home! We welcomed:

Agreeable Summer - NCh. Hogsmeade x Ch. General Lee’s Girl (Created)
15h Grey Colt
Dam is a MSW & SP Bronze (1.9) ranked mare
1/2 sib. to Daisy Duke, a SW dirt sprinter

Certain Base - GCh. Naval Commander x Ch. Farewell (Created)
15.2h Dark Bay Filly
Dam is a MSP Bronze (1.0) ranked mare with most foals either FF or inactive stable owned

Excellent Measure - NCh. Hogsmeade x Ch. No Surrender (No Duplicate)
15.2h Dark Grey Filly
Dam is a SW & MSP Bronze (.8) ranked mare with all foals either FF or inactive stable owned

Round Lace - ICh. Call de Oro x Firedancer (Ch. Turn n’Burn)
14.1h Grey Filly
Dam only has 1 foal that has raced but unfortunately owned by an inactive stable. She was bred to be an all around runner with her sire preferring dirt while her dam preferred turf & SC

Sour Cave - Blame x Ch. Red E Lil Chikadee (Created)
16.2h Dark Grey Filly
Dam is a MSW & MSP Bronze (1.1) ranked mare
This filly is quite tall considering she’s not 2 yrs old until 6/12. I admit I fell quite in love with her sire recently and I’m looking forward to seeing what this not so little lady has in store.

After further review of auction purchase records I have found that apparently I have a thing for bays & greys!! :thinking: :grin:

3 Likes

I went back for two more. :sweat_smile:

Demonic Clock, NCh. Straticus x That’s Specatcular - Spectacular Bid
I couldn’t resist grabbing another Straticus, and I like his name. Mixed bag from his half-siblings, but most are FF owned and over half are winners (just realized his dam’s typo’d name haha). Mostly relying on Spectacular Bid as a silver-ranked broodmare sire. Bought for 1k.

Whimsical Fish, GCh. Venture His Due x Cross Your Path - Double Cross
Whole damline is basically FF owned, so not great, but there might be promise of SC runners and I’ve noticed several of Venture’s foals are being switched to SC with good results. Really he just has a funny name and I want to support my boys. Also 1k.

2 Likes

Couldn’t resist going back for more. Went specifically for fillies this time, as my small 2yo string was heavily dominated by colts. All equal now!

Mixed Attempt, Deep Impact x Dreams of Genie - Magic Cross
Could go either way. She doesn’t really have successful siblings, but most of them were never under proper management. Banking on Magic Cross being a silver broodmare sire and her dam’s 1/2 siblings having more succes in the breeding shed.

Charming Gate, GCh. Mantle of Power x Coral Vista - Created
Dam was OTB 8/10 races and her two oldest 1/2 siblings - the only ones not owned by FF/inactive stables - had some success on track, so hoping she has some talent! She was also the only one from my original longlist still available.

Shy Silver, ICh. To Die For x If You Please - False Promises
Granddam is goldranked and with 67% winners for siblings 1k seems more than worth the gamble. I also own her 1/2 sibling who was on the board 13/14 races before retiring to broodmare.

Deep Noise, NCh. AndLikeThatHesGone x Instantly - Those Will Do
All siblings are FF bred & owned, but het granddam is gold-ranked so worth a shot.

Troubling Swirl, NCh. Painted Raven x Out of This - Danzig
She has 2 1/2 siblings with some succes over hurdles, so she could be a succesfull chaser in a few years, who know. Also, who can resist a naming gem like this? :joy:

In the end I went home with 10 youngsters for 1k each, more than tripling my 2yo band (ah, the joys of a new stable haha). There’s bound to be one that will win back this investment. I hope.

2 Likes