2024 Select Auction

With the Select Auction 2 weeks from Saturday, fingers crossed for some inactive shiny baubles being offered this year? :wink:

2 Likes

Must resist any shiny ponies on offer :wink:

The script has worked its magic…

1 Like

@Shanthi
Is it too late to ask for some more horses to be added to the auction?

I meant to ask this about a week ago but got busy and forgot.

I was wondering if you could add Renegade Racing and Breeding stallions to the auction.

Their stable has been deactivated but all of their horses are still owned by them.

3 Likes

Is there a bug in the bidding?

I put max bids of $100,000 on a couple of broodmares and, instead of the high bid starting at $1,000, it shot straight up to $100,000.

This is what would normally happen In an Auction if there was a Limit of $100,000, but I’m not used to it in the Select Auction, where ther is no monetary limit.

2 Likes

I wanted to bid more than $100,000 on one horse and got a message " Your bid of $100,000 has been accepted. After everyone who wishes to bid this amount has done so, a random stable will be picked of those who bid this amount, and the horse will be sold for that amount. Please click here to increase your bid, or click here to go back to the auction summary."

…as if there was a spending limit, but there shouldn’t be…?

That happened to me, too. I was wondering about that, since I didn’t think there was a spending limit.

Same. And one of my 100k bids is listed as a winning bid, one as a loss. As much as it would be nice and try and win some of these horses for just 100k, I’d rather try and fight for one or two in particular and burn money. :wink:

Generally I’d say yes (it’s too late), but I added Glorious Victory and Paint Me Proud since the script didn’t find any studs to add.

2 Likes

I’ve fixed the bidding issue - the auction didn’t have any spending limit set but each horse somehow had a limit. :roll_eyes:

I’ve wiped out all the bids so people can start fresh.

1 Like

You rock @Shanthi!!

After a number of failed bids for most of our first choices, we settled for 4 (with one more still to be completed).

Eternal Wine, a 3YO filly by FFCh. I’m No Fool (S) out of GCh. Chloe (B). She has 1 win from 8 starts so far (a G2W). She will go to the Farm then head to Australia to try and add to her SW. - $151,000

A yearling filly by ICh. Calle de Oro (B) out of Ch. Silver Devil (S). She has been named Gold Silver Bronze - $1,000

A weanling colt by Frankel (S) out of Silent Witness (S). He has been named Frankelly Silent - $1,000

A weanling filly by Frankel (S) out of Ch. Gonewiththeindians (S). She has been named Frankelly Gone - $1,000

We only had one Frankel progeny and decided that we’d like to add to that number.

We still have one active bid left (until Shanthi ups the limit) for Quell, a 4yo daughter of [ICh. Quarren]. (https://www.finalfurlong.org/viewhorse.php?horse=12367) (S). Quarren is another young Stallion (by number of foal crops), like Frankel, who has done extremely well at the Breeding Sheds and we decided to try and add another one of his progeny to our barn. Unfortunately, while she is only 4YO, she was Retired to Stud earlier this year (I thought that fillies had to be older than 4 to become Broodmares, or is it that they have to be 4 or older).

I think it’s once they turn 4 Lewis (@Starfish), so long as they’ve had 10 races.

Fun fact: last year I forgot about this auction. Two years ago I bought broodmares and one broodmare prospect. I have a weanling from each and I sold one of them.

This year I bought two yearling colts: Tajny Front by NCh. In The Navy, out of gold ranked Bathsheba (Lonesome Glory). He should be good for classic distance on dirt and turf. His half sister GCh. Lonesome Road is a Multi-Millionare and she won Grade 1 stakes twice. I also own his half brother Tanakh, purchased at the 2022 Annual Foal Auction.
Price: $31,500.

The other colt is Felek by NCh. Hogwarts, out of silver ranked NCh. Mark My Word (Mr. Prospector). He should be a dirt runner although his dam preferred turf. All his siblings are winners.
Price: $6,000.

$4,201,500 for NCh. Paint Me Proud, wow! Congratulations, Marshall Creek Ranch! Is it some kind of auction record perhaps?

Side note: They can retire younger and/or with less starts if they’ve had a career-ending injury (broken leg/heart attack). I’m pretty sure the code prevents them from being bred before age 4 though.

@Shanthi FYI Glorious Victory is listed as being sold back to Renegade Racing in the auction results.

Picked up most of our top picks, and thankfully four were bargains but we had to fight for our absolute favorite. Overall, a great haul from the Select Auction this year.

Top pick GCh. Cuckoo is a broodmare by FFCH. Foolhardy out of WCh. Highland Raven, making her half to stallions ICh. Starling and NCh. Slew O’Scots, and all of her half-sisters are silver-ranked. Cuckoo herself is a MSW, but unproven in the shed - gravel came down at a whopping $2,000,500

Ch. Red Roses is a broodmare by Alydar, and half to gold-ranked Ch. Sweetest Slew. Our only other Alydar mare is gold-ranked so we’re hopeful - $1,000

Final broodmare purchase is Ch. Seven Veils, by WCh. Gotta Go out of gold-ranked Ch. Arabian Nights. Gotta Go is a high-ranked silver broodmare sire, and Seven Veils is half to 2 MSW’s and 3 SP’s - $1,000

Smiling Touch is a 3yo colt by ICh. Sleipnir. He won his only 2yo start and was G2P earlier this year. Hoping with a brief break and some actual training, he’ll be a strong runner - $1,000

Lastly picked up weanling filly Belle of Zadar, by GCh. Zadar out of a gold-ranked mare. She’s half to 6 winners from 8 runners, including 2 MSW’s - $1,000

I’ve upped the horse limit to 10 per stable, if anyone wants to go back for any more.

1 Like