2023 Annual Mixed Auction - How'd You Do?

I bought two colts, and decided to name them after music bands; one is a yearling, so belongs to my German theme, and the other is a weanling, so I named him after a Polish band.

Rammstein ( Deep Impact x Odyssey) is a dark bay yearling out of Gold ranked mare which I also own (I bought her at 2022 Mixed Auction), and we had her first foal this year. Rammstein is a half brother of ICh. Gal From Seattle. Price: $1,000

Ziyo ( NCh. Painted Raven x Ch. Kickedouttadaclub) is a dark grey weanling, also out of Gold ranked mare. Price: $35,500.

I’m usually more impatient with colts and I retire them sooner than fillies, so it’s nice to have two more. In 2022, I also bought Cat Surfer - a Platinum ranked broodmare. We bred her to First Born Son at the beginning of this year.

Made off with more colts than I’d like, but managed to nab 2 I really had my eye on and quite happy overall (especially since I didn’t spend much $$$ this time).

Lavender (Deep Impact x Bold Girl - Bold Ruler), dkb. weanling filly
Dam was SW and MSP at 2 while being purely FF-campaigned. She is half to 2 winners from 3 runners, including SP Handy Cent. Bought for 1k.

Mercury Vapor (GCh. Galaxy’s Zodiac x Bay Lady), dkb. weanling colt
I’ve had great luck Galaxy’s Zodiac and with him now retired, I wanted to scoop this boy up. Dam was unraced but has produced 5 of 7 winners including MSW Ch. Highland Joy. Most of her foals have been FF owned or inactive, so I figured worth a chance. Bought for 1k.

Fortune (Danzig x May Flower), gr. broodmare
One of two I really wanted to nab, as one of my Danzig mares retired this year and my other is gold-ranked. Fortune is silver-ranked with 2 winners from 3 runners, including SW Ch. Stardom Awaits. Bought for 1k.

Grand Optimist (GCh. Turnpike Wannabe x Hollywood Heiress), blk. yearling colt
The second horse I wanted to grab, and very shocked to only pay $10,500 for him when his 2yo half-brother sold in this same auction for 100k! Out of platinum-ranked Hollywood Heiress, he’s half to MSW’s NCh. Stealing Hollywood and Ch. Overqualified.

Chocolate Turtle (WCh. Gotta Go x Death By Chocolate), b. yearling colt
Half to 50% winners, but many of his half-sibs are FF-campaigned or completely unraced so I’m hoping they just haven’t had the best of opportunities. He does have 2 raced relatives bred on the same sire/damsire cross that did very well. Worth a shot at 1k.

Had hoped for three but came home with 5. Good news is total spend of $22,500 so I haven’t broken the bank. Bad news is they’re all girls and I don’t really need anymore of those.

Sligo Lady is a weanling daughter of Carrowmore out of GCh Lady Rogue. She’s half to 3 stakes winners. Her dam is half to 7 MSW including NCh Fleet Street.

Dancing Daisy is a yearling daughter of Unabridged out of silver ranked Dance Boldly who’s best runner to date is MSP Vampris. Dance Boldly is half to 2 MSW including NCh Boldness Shows. Her half sisters seem to be pretty good producers in the paddocks.

Previous Presence is a lightly raced 3yo daughter of Invasor out of a MSP daughter of Lonesome Glory. She’s half to MSW Dreki. She’s placed once in three starts to date. Her dam is half to 3 MSW including NCh Camelot.

Hidden Princess was a bit of an afterthought. She’s MW, MP by Deep Impact out of NCh Crimson Princess making her half to 6 MSW. She hasn’t shown that level of form herself but I’m hopeful she’ll make a nice broodmare prospect.

Kimo Cat. Total sentimental purchase. She’s a 2006 mare by Storm Cat, nothing spectacular on the track however I already own three of her daughters - User Friendly (purchased from the 2yo Auction 9 years ago) who’s a stakes winner with a silver ranking; Government Cat (purchased 2 years ago and now has a Gold ranking) and her as yet unraced 2yo Cattitude. She’ll probably be bred early next year.

Good luck with her!

Increased bidding limit? :wink:

Thanks for the reminder - I’ve upped it to 8 horses/stable. :slight_smile:

I managed to miss the first portion of the auction (probably a good thing!), but still managed to find a couple worth taking a gamble on:

First is broodmare Distilled Sorcery - the only stakes-winning daughter of our now-deceased broodmare, A.P. Whiskey. I didn’t have any daughters left from this line, so I’m excited to have one again. Distilled Sorcery set two speed records at age 3: 11f dirt and 12f turf. I’m hoping we can find a magical cross to pull that talent through to the next generation.

Secondly, I purchased a 4yo racehorse, Homely Harmony, primarily for her bloodlines. She only has 4 lifetime starts, so we are curious to see how she develops under our training program. I’m hoping to see some potential before she hits retirement age. She is by now-retired Monarchos, and we didn’t have any of his offspring in our stable. Harmony’s dam is multi-stakes winning hurdler, Ch. Motor City Mama. Hopefully this means she will like hurdles if she doesn’t like the flat!