2023 Annual Foal Auction

Of my earlier purchases, Zest For Blue, bought as a weanling ran once this year, and finished last :stuck_out_tongue: he’s now training and we’ll try again.
Tanakh ran eight times as a 2yo this year, finishing 4th twice.
Xaspian and Equilibrium are now yearlings and I still keep them.
Others are retired.

This year I bought two yearling fillies:

Rhizome (NCh. Al Mundhir x Ch. Heart Breaker) - bred by Final Furlong to our recently retired stallion. Rhizome is a philosophical concept, used to describe theory and research that allows for multiple, non-hierarchical entry and exit points in data representation and interpretation.

The other filly is Vandana Shiva (ICh. Sleipnir x Ch. Cozy Danielle), named after an Indian scholar, environmental activist, food sovereignty advocate, and anti-globalization author. I’m a huge fan of her recently.
Paid $1,000 for each.

1 Like

Kept things cheap and brought home all my top choices.

American Eagle (American Pharoah x ShootForTheStars), yearling colt
Consigned by Littlefield and formerly named American Star, he is o/o a SW dam and half to 2 winners from 2 runners including Ch. Giant Shot. Most expensive at 10k.

Witness Authority (ICh. Quarren x Witness to Freedom - ICh. Witness), yearling colt
Consigned by Desert Wind Farm, Quarren has been on fire this year as a sire and I’m really curious how Witness does as a broodmare sire/sire-of-sires and liked the cross. Bought for 1k.

Mafia Princess (ICh. Dr. Evil x Ch. Smooth n’ Settled), weanling filly
Out of a MSW dam. All 3 of her half-sibs are FF owned/campaigned, including a SP runner, so I think with a proper managed campaign she could be really nice. Bought for 1k.

Catelyn (ICh. Starling x Blues Baby - GCh. My Lucky Day), weanling filly
Consigned by Desert Wind Farm, this little filly is out of an old mare of mine and half to MSW Ch. St. James, whom I bred/own. I’ve had good luck with Starling foals, so liked the cross. Possibly a SC runner. Bought for 1k.

1 Like

I didn’t end up getting all of my first picks, but I kept things cheap and I’m excited about the ones I did bring home. I paid $1K for all of them.

Monophobia (Curlin x Robyn’s Slew), yearling colt
Consigned by Final Furlong, this colt’s dam has produced 4 winners out of her 6 racing foals including a multiple stakes winner. I haven’t had any horses out of Curlin yet, so I’m excited to see how this foal turns out.

Foolish Mist (Bernardini x Philis), yearling filly
Consigned by Litttlefield, this filly’s dam has produced 2 winners out of 2 racers including a stakes place.

Fairly Local (Straticus x Aly Oops), yearling colt
Consigned by Final Furlong, this colt’s dam has produced some winners and sire hasn’t had a racing foal crop yet. I’m really excited to see how he turns out.

Ghosts ‘n’ Stuff (Painted Raven x Jaded), yearling filly
Consigned by Final Furlong, this filly’s dam has produced 7 winners. I’m thinking she is going to be a steeplechase prospect.

Arguru (Curlin x Caboodles), weanling filly
Consigned by Final Furlong, this is another foal by Curlin and her dam has produced 2 winners. I’m thinking she will like running on dirt.

Came home with two and sold three.

Burj Nahar is a weanling Colt by Dubawi out of silver ranked Broadway Watch. I’m interested to see how the Dubawi foals do when they hit the track in 2025. Named after an old watchtower in Dubai.

Something Blue is a yearling filly by Carrowmore out of Gold ranked Married To Quick. Not completely sold on the name so will have to see if something else springs to mind before the end of the year.

Apparently missed the first half of the auction, so didn’t get any of my top choices, but came home with two I was curious about, each for 1k.

[color=001BFF]Power of Romance[/color] (previously Power Crazy), black weanling colt by GCh. Mantle of Power (S) x Ch. Result Of Romance - ICh. Gunningdownromance (S). Looks to be bred for turf. Dam was a multi-winner at 2 and multi-stakes winning at 4, with a pretty slow 3YO year. Sire, however, got all his wins at 3, so hoping the combination will make for a solid all-rounder.

[color=FF0000]All That Cat[/color] (previously Ebony Black), black weanling filly by GCh. All That Appeal x Black Cat - ICh. Alley Cat (S). More of a wild card. I’ve had some success with the Alley Cat family before, so could be an interesting runner in the future. Probably won’t do much before 3, though, given her sire and dam’s records.