2017 2YO Auction: How'd you do?

I’m starting this topic because I’m NOT going to buy more horses in this auction! :wink:

[color=blue]Count The Shots - 14.3h grey colt with no markings. He wasn’t my first choice, as many nice 2yo’s were moved to the Select Auction. But I really like this boy’s pedigree and dosage. He’s by NCh. Gimme A Shot, a retired stallion that produced four millionaires, and earned three Eclipse Awards; 2 Year Old Colt, 3 Year Old Colt, and Older Horse. Colt’s dam is Ch. Countess (by WCh. Highland Bandit). She ran 42 races injury-free, and has only two foals. Her damline traces back to Always Be Mine, silver ranked Reine-de-Course (B/I), which appears also in the pedigree of our 2yo filly [color=red]Iyaiyai. So we have three Reines in this pedigree, and four Chef’s in the damline. And we like nice damlines at Clicker Lab. :wink:
This colt would definetely be a nice sire with his pedigree, we’ll see if he can make it. Now he only needs to grow some more, as his expected height is 15.2h - 16.2h.

Purchased for $10,500.

I had a list of about 7 I super liked and 4 quickly went out of my price range. From the 3 leftover, I decided I really only liked one, so we concentrated on him and brought him home!

[color=blue]Love the Rain is a gorgeous dark gray son of GCh. High on Love (G). He’s out of the created mare, Rainy Days, who hit the board 9 of 14 times and this is her only foal. I really wanted a colt because out of 20 2yo’s only 4 are colts, and I have NO direct High on Love kids so he had to come home. Despite a January birth date he’s only 14.3hh and should be 16-17hh upon maturity, so he’ll settled in at the farm for a few more months before hitting the track. We picked him up for $8,000 and we’re not buying more!

Very happy we won the shake on [color=red]Promise of Night. She’s by hot sire WCh. Nightfight and is out of the G2 Demoiselle winner Ch. Broken Promises who is showing a bit of promise as a broodmare. Of her two foals to race one is a winner, the other hasn’t been given much chance with only 2 starts to his name as a 4yo. Promise of Night’s grandsire False Promises is turning out to be a nice broodmare sire with foals who are dams of 4 different millionaires. Her second-dam Dreams of You is the mother of 9 winners from 9 foals to race including 1 multiple stakes winning millionaires and 2 other stakes winners.

We had a list of 6 fillies we were interested in. Started off bidding on the top four choices but soon were priced out of the bidding on [color=red]Promise of Night, replacing her with our fifth choice. Once the bidding on our first choice was completed and we had some room under the bidding cap, we put a bid in for our sixth choice. Happily, we were successful in all of them.

The five we brought home were, in order of preference (although there wasn’t much between any of them in our mind):-
[color=red]Speak Your Piece, a 16h grey filly, by [color=blue]ICh. Spock out of [color=red]Speak Up (B). She cost $10,500.
[color=red]Confessional, a 16h brown filly, by [color=blue]Rock of Gibraltar (S) out of our own mare [color=red]Confession (B). She cost $1,000.
[color=red]Rough Holiday, a 14.1h black filly, by our recently retired stallion [color=blue]WCh. What’s Debatable (S) out of [color=red]Glorratore. She cost $10,500.
[color=red]Magic Spitfire, a 15h bay filly, by one of our current stallions [color=blue]ICh. Magic Glory (S) out of [color=red]Blackout (B). She cost $1,000.
[color=red]Debatable Love, a 16.1h bay filly, by another one of our current stallions [color=blue]GCh. Major’s Flight (S) out of [color=red]Wavering Love (B). She cost $10,500.

BTW Shanthi - If you notice with Confessional, her name is very close to her mother’s name, Confession. Is that OK or would you prefer it if she were renamed? If you want to, you could change her name to Rock of Truth (I’ve checked and there doesn’t appear to be anything vaguely close to that). I’m happy either way, although if I’d been naming her in the first place, I wouldn’t have chosen a name that close to either of her parents names.

Came home with 5 for $1k each, like I do every auction.

[color=red]Celtic Romance (NCh. Slew O’ Scots (S) x RomancingtheKnight (B))
Both parents were steeplechasers, and I always appreciate when mom and dad match surface preference.

[color=blue]Don Pharoah (GCh. Akhetnaten (S) x Donnacona)
Both parents were dirt runners and I don’t have anyone by this stud. And yes, unfortunately pharaoh is spelled wrong in his name.

[color=red]Scottish Magic (NCh. Seattle Sorcerer (S) x Scottish Rose (B))
Don’t have any by Seattle Sorcerer, so I’m glad to have one now that he’s retired. I guess I’m a pony collector.

[color=blue]Scottish Prayer (NCh. Slew O’Scots (S) x Livingonaprayer)
Both parents SC runners again. You would think my two Scottish horses were related, but they’re not.

[color=blue]The Frog Prince (ICh. Prince Of Wonder (S) x Forty Kisses)
I’m very excited to have gotten this colt! I do not have any by Prince of Wonder, and there’s unfortunately little chance that I’ll ever send a mare to him since he’s across the planet from my stable.  Both parents were turfers. His name is also the name of a song by my all time favorite band. If it illustrates my devotion to the band, I have part of the score of one of their songs tattooed to my leg. So the name’s pretty cool too.  :wink:

Done, thanks.

Had a few bids in and ended up with two for $11000. Happy with that as we’ve got enough ponies as it is  :wink:

Surprisingly our first choice only cost $1000  :smiley: [color=red]Final Victory is a strapping chestnut daughter of first season sire V Is For Victory. She’s out of Final Kisses, a Highland Laird daughter of Fatal Kisses making her half to Tryst of Fate. I like the dam line, having owned her “uncle”, Lethal Evil, for a while. He was a good solid allowance runner.

Second in was one we only decided to bid on once the auction opened.  [color=blue]Literate Lord is from the penultimate crop of Highland Laird. Out of Crimson Text, he’s half to several stakes level performers. Cost $10,000.

I chose 5 to put bids in on - 3 of my choice, and 2 because they were by my new sire, Witness, and I wanted them to get non-FF homes.  So when I got outbid on one of the Witness babies, I was not at all upset.  (Congrats, Littlefield, and good luck with Top Gear!)

Thankfully, the other 4 came home with me (as if I needed more):

[color=red]Ripped Jeans will be the first Witness female we get to run, so I’m excited for that.  Her dam is by A.P. Indy, which is always a good thing.  The rest is quite a mystery, but I have good reason to want to figure her out.  :wink:  She’s super tiny, but a lovely dapple grey.  She’ll be a pasture ornament until she’s a bit taller.  Steal at $1k.

I was shocked to win the bid on [color=red]Good Classics, by one of my all time favorites (and sadly retired), I’m A Classic, out of a Cigar daughter (which, again, is always a good thing to see in a pedigree IMO!).  I was prepared to fight.  Her half siblings have 1 race run between them, so I don’t know quite what to expect, but this is a winning combination in my book.  I have a really good feeling about this one.  She’s at her minimum expected height, too, and is shipping to the track to begin training with our other “mature 2yos” as we speak.  Amazing deal at $1k.

[color=blue]Grand Love is the only colt in the bunch.  He was chosen due to his incredible, but short-lived sire.  I didn’t own any High On Love offspring pre-auction, so I was determined to get at least one.  I chose him over some of his counterparts in the auction because his dam, Grand Thunder (created) was a multi-winner who holds two speed records.  I didn’t fully expect to get to bring him home, but I’m very glad that I did.  At 16.1hh, this boy is definitely going into training immediately.  $21k purchase price.

[color=red]Art of Love was the one I most wanted, and most expected to get outbid on.  Looking at her final price, it appears that I was right in expecting a lot of interest in her, but I’m glad to have won out in the end.  Again, I wanted a High On Love baby, and with both of her older siblings hitting the board in every start (though they only have 3 starts collectively) while having average sires, I think she has a very good potential.  In addition, she’s a gorgeous dark grey who is within range of her mature height, so she will also begin training immediately.  $45.5k splurge.

Well normally I go the ‘cheaper’ route and buy a bunch of lower priced horses but I had to get the expensive one this year! Plus her name is awesome :wink:

[color=red]Confused Forest
2yo Filly, 14.1hh
NCh. Dark Demand x GCh. Zamberta
Her sire doesn’t have any running foals yet but I am sure they will be superstars! Her dam is the reason for her expensive price tag. She actually has 2 running foals but between the 2 of them they have only run 5 times… so not really a judge of her ability as a broodmare. She was a fantastic runner, especially as a 2yo, and we are hopeful that Confused Forest runs as well as she did!
Purchase Price…  $100,000

Well I think I did pretty well! Got 5 horses for $6500 :]
Don’t really know much about the game pedigrees just yet, so I can’t really say much about the ones I won haha

[color=red]Aztec Pearl
[color=blue]Blindfighting
[color=blue]Caramel End
[color=blue]Cheater’s Luck
[color=blue]Classic Fifties

Eh, decided “why not?” and joined the bidding game late. Just picking up some of the cheaper horses to have fun with so I shan’t be too disappointed if half of them can’t run their way out of a paper bag for a couple years, lol

So far bought:

[color=blue]Soul Cove, dark bay colt by ICh. Stressed (B)-Beautiful Dancer, by Northern Dancer (B). Zeroed in on him because a long while back I lost out on the shake for Beautiful Dancer. I guess getting her firstborn is my consolation prize, lol. Tag: $1,000.

[color=red]Satin Pillow, dark bay filly by Rock of Gibraltar (B)-Mon Amour (B), by Satin Romance (S). I bought her for the hell of it. Tag: $1,000.

Waiting to see if I’ll win two other horses. If I don’t, that’s fine - I got plenty of two year olds back at the farm track to keep me occupied.

Congrats on Confused Forest, Kim. Good luck with her!

Thanks Cat! Sorry for the little bidding war but I couldn’t resist

No worries. We need to stop having such excellent taste. :wink:

I bought 5, increasing my newbie racehorse string by 33%!

[color=blue]Favorite Cat: ICh Alley Cat x Captain’s Favorit. This guy doesn’t have any raced half siblings, but his dam has a decent race record and wasn’t raced until age 5, which makes me think she might have been past her prime at that point, anyway.  He might be a late bloomer, like his sire, which isn’t ideal for a new stable, so I didn’t bid on this guy until some of my other favorites (cough, Confused Forest) rose out of my price range. ($4,000)

[color=blue]Ring of Blue: ICh. Ring of Fire x LilMissBlueBlood. This guy was another second choice of mine.  I don’t think he’ll be ready to race anytime soon, as he’s only 14.3h, and based on his pedigree, is expected to be 15.3-16.3h.  His sire also didn’t start running until age 3.  I like both of his parents, though, so hope I can be patient with him! ($4,000)

[color=red]Fights Just Begun: Rahy x Ch. Fighting Shot. Now this filly, I’m hoping will be a 2yo wonder (or, at least winner). Her dam had a great 2yo season, with 4 wins and multiple stakes places, and she seems to be fully grown at 15.3h.  I was really pleased to pick her up for just $1,000!

[color=red]Secret Morning: NCh. Government Secret x Three AM. This filly could be another good 2yo racer.  Her sire raced best when he was 2 and 3, and her dam was unbeaten as a 3yo in 3 starts, before fading as a 4 and 5yo.  Another one I was pleased to pick up unchallenged, for $1,000.

[color=red]Sultry Hollywood: FFCh. TakeMeToHollywood x Ch. Sultry Perfume.  I’m looking forward to getting this filly on the track this year, as well, as her half brother ran pretty well as a two year old.  Her dam didn’t bloom on the track until age 5, though, so we’ll see if she’s ready to run. ($5,500)

I skipped it I have enough! Lol

Brought home two more for $1,000 apiece for a total of three fillies and one colt for $4,000.

[color=red]Pikasso, a huge dark gray filly by NCh. Bellagio-Imaloa, and

[color=red]IrresistibleZephyr, a dark bay filly by NCh. Void-Zephyrella.

Brought home a pair of creates for $1k a head.

Good Luck with Here I Am, Cat. I redeemed some activity points a couple of years back and she was the result. Hope she runs well for you.