2014 Select Auction - How'd You Do?

Well as usuall we bought WAY to many horses, but it’s not very often you see horses of this caliber offered for sale.  Was a good time for a breeding stock upgrade.  I was very suprised to see some of these horses go for the prices they did!  Here were our highlights…

[color=red]Highland Lady (S) (Secretariat (S) X WCh. Highland Raven (G)) - A silver rated broodmare out of the legendary Highland Raven.  I have been waiting a long LONG time to get a hold of a Highland Raven foal…let alone a mare. Totally in shock.

[color=red]NCh. Gazelle (What’s It Worth (G) X Seeing Starz (G)) Double gold bred, Worth daughter, MSW, Multi millionaire broodmare.  I have also been waiting a LONG time for a Seeing Starz progeny…let alone two…

[color=red]Irish Radiance (Irish River (S) X Seeing Starz (G))  I love love love Irish River and can’t believe I got this girl.  I am so super phyched I get to race her and breed her. 

[color=red]Lost Memories - a silver rated broodmare who is the only horse in the game to reach 18h!  What a mare!  Plus I bought her last 3 foals…holy moly.

[color=red]Starstruck - Double gold bred Secret Of Love mare.  I couldn’t pass on her breeding and that she was by Secret Of Love.  He’s my absolute favorite. :slight_smile:

[color=red]Seahorse - First foal of NCh. Arda and by another one of my favorites, Seabiscuit. Plus, i get to race her right away. :slight_smile:

[color=red]Set For Ireland - Super cheat filly out of a Lymerick daughter.

[color=red]Video Starlet - She is a MSW 2yo this year who finished top 2 in her 8 starts this year. We are super pleased to have her in the barn.

[color=red]Find Me Up River - Couldn’t pass up a super cheap Irish River filly with him retiring this year.

And Last but not least was…

[color=red]Always A Hayday (No Duplicate (S) X Miss Hayday (G))  Once again I can’t believe to own a daughter of a legendary mare.  Miss Hayday fillies have always been out of my grasp till now.  We can’t wait to raise her and race her.

I second your comment. We also spent way too much money and bought way too many horses. We did, however, get what we are hoping will eventually be a boost to our breeding stock in [color=blue]GCh. Mantle of Power and [color=blue]WCh. What’s Debatable. The former is a 3 YO who needs one SW to qualify as a Stallion, the latter is a fairly well proven stallion already, but probably only has maybe 4 or 5 years breeding left before Retirement.

The current plan for [color=blue]Mantle of Power is to race him for the rest of this year and all of next year, during which time he will hopefully get the SW needed to qualify him as a Stallion. [color=blue]What’s Debatable is an older half brother to another one of our Stallions, [color=blue]GCh. Major’s Flight, whose first crop are now 3YO’s and are turning in their fair share of wins.

We also added a Broodmare to our ranks, [color=red]Ch. Miss Hollywood, who is a daughter of [color=red]Lady of Mystery, who retired from the breeding ranks this year. [color=red]Miss Hollywood is also half-sister to four other horses in our Stables.

In addition to these, we added two previously unnamed Yearlings, [color=red]Giant’s Debate, who is related to both [color=blue]What’s Debatable and [color=blue]Major’s Flight, and [color=red]White Sand Beach, who is related to a number of our other horses.

We also added three previously unnamed Weanlings, [color=blue]Star of Wonder[color=red]Harvard Speaker and  [color=red]Sand Dune, all of which are related to others of our stock.

My hand shook when I “signed the checks” for these new purchases but hopefully the shaking will ease as they start earning back some of this outlay.

I spent too much money too… But couldn’t resist!

Three broodmares and three yearlings (all fillies). We’ve now taken our breeding stock to 65 mares which I believe is the largest in the game.

[color=red]HIGHLAND BLACK is a GCH mare by Highland Rogue and out of American Black (both Gold-rated). No foals of note yet from her, but I’m sure with Rogue as her sire this will change! $200,000 purchase.

[color=red]HIGHLAND FERN is a CH mare by Highland Rogue and out of Botany (Bronze-rated). She’s a Gold-rated mare herself with a MSW and two MSP foals from three raced. Looking forward to matching her with some nice boys. $200,000 purchase.

[color=red]A PHARAOHS VICTORY is a GCH mare by Akhetnaten and out of Hollywood Silver (both Silver-rated). She’s only just been retired this year and hasn’t been bred yet. $200,000 purchase.

[color=red]STAR SPUN is a lovely yearling filly by WCh. Strider (Highland Rogue x Seeing Starz) and out of NCh. Spinning Hill (A.P. Indy x Whirl It). Really great lines and both sire and dam were very nice runners. Very happy to have her in my stable. Spinning Hill was my old stable’s homebreds! $200,000 purchase.

[color=red]PORTOFINO is another lovely yearling filly by WCh. Strider and this time out of NCh. Arda (What’s It Worth x Promised Land). Nice runners on both lines again and also classic Rogue x Worth cross. Can’t wait to run this one! I renamed this one. $200,000 purchase.

[color=red]ARDIENTE is a nice filly by WCh. Nightfight and out of Ch. Bonfire (a Rogue mare). Looking forward to racing her and happy to have a filly by a Highland Rogue mare. Renamed this one too - think Ardiente is ‘burning’ in Spanish. $150,000 purchase.

So spent $1,150,000 which was WAY more than what I intended - I don’t have much capital at the moment! 5/6 of my girls have Highland Rogue in their lineage so you can kind of see what I was trying to get into my stable this time around! It is such a trustworthy and reliable line to have and works really well crossed with good, consistent stallions.

Congrats to everyone else on their purchases. Some nice horses are left! Tempted, but I’m out!

Like everyone, spent way too much and the original aim of maybe three horses tunred into seven :astonished: Hopefully we’ve got some nice stock to work with.

First two home were the broodmares [color=red]Ch Secret Flame (Secreteriat(s) ex Fire De Flame(s)) and [color=red]Ch Just Danzig (Danzig(s) ex Just Like You(s)). They are in foal to Sneak Peak and Seattle Sorcerer respectively. Flame adds some new blood being by Secreteriat and Just Danzig is a half-sister too our own Just A Fox who’s bronze ranked. Both mares are currently unranked with no foals to race as yet.

We also secured three racehorses - [color=red]Ch Comidienne (Giant’s Causeway(s) ex A Funny Thing(s)) a 3yo who was SW and MSP at 2. She’s now a jumper but hopefully there’s still some money to be won with her although she was bought with the breeding shed in mind. We also secured two stallions [color=blue]Ch Scarlet Secret (Secreteriat(s) ex Scarlet Ribbons(s)) and [color=blue]Ch Levitation (Magic Cross)(s) ex Night Flight(s)). Both boys are probably a bit past their prime in terms of achieving stallion status but we’re hopeful they can at earn us a bit more before retiring.

The final two in were two youngsters - yearling [color=blue]Quarren (Sadlers Wells(s) ex Question Authority(G)) joins three other Sadlers colts in the barn and as probably the best bred we’re hopefull he can make an impact on the racecourse. Sadly Highland Lady was out of our price range but we were glad to bring home her weanling daughter by Point Given(s) - she’s been named [color=red]Flora Macdonald and we’re very glad to have her although it’ll be a long wait until she makes her racecourse debut  ;)

I am like…BEGGING to be outbid on the last 2 I have bids on. They still have 11 days to go so here’s to hoping.

The two I have won so far I got super cheap (my kind of shopping). I bought [color=blue]Unsolved Mystery to hopefully just be a nice check-earning allowance winner. He’s got a nice record so far and great lines, so hopefully he can keep going for another year or two. Got for $6,500.

Second horse I’m thrilled over. $1,000! [color=red]Ms. Townsend was bought as a broodmare prospect. By a Bronze sire out of a Silver dam (and both out of gold dams), Ms. Townsend is a half-sister to MSW Moon Beam and stakes-placed Puttin’ on the Ritz. She’ll continue to race this year and depending on her first few starts next year, she’ll either keep racing or go to brood.

I was surprised by the number of horses going for their reserve price.  I spent way more than I planned ($800k), but walked away with two very nice mares for $400k a head.

[color=red]Dark Miss is the gold-rated dam of NCh. Carrowmore and Ch. Across Enemy Lines.  She is a Miss Heydey mare by The Black, so nice old lines that can cross with practically anything! 

[color=red]NCh. Spinning Hill is a multi-millionaire bred and carefully raced by Central Coast Lodge.  I remembered her well from when she was on the track, so I was excited at the opportunity to pick her up.  I’m glad Jason set his sights on some other horses and let me steal her.  She’s by AP Indy out of Whirl It, both silver-rated, but if she can pass on even a small portion of her talent–I’d be thrilled.  Again, not the usual Rogue/Worth lines, so she can cross with anything.  =)

Now back to lurking.  =)

I only spent $2.5 mill  :astonished: but couldn’t help myself, even going to $500k for an unraced yearling but who could refuse  ::)

Was certainly a chance to upgrade the breeding stock  8)

2 Broadmares

[color=red]Evening’s End & [color=red]Celtic Mist (both already producing SW’s)

2 racehorses

Both fillies, [color=red]Genoa & [color=red]At Twilight (both lightly raced SW’s already)

3 Yearlings

[color=blue]Camden Park + 2 as yet unnamed

This was certainly a high quality auction. The horses for sale were so attractive that everybody seems to have spent more than they intended, myself included, however, from the posts above, everybody seems very excited about their purchases and nobody has complained “I wish I hadn’t spent so much”.

Kudos to whoever selected the horses to be sold.

Well considering that I just checked the taxes page and if I keep going the way I am I’ll be in the red at the end of the year perhaps I shouldn’t have spent so much! Eeek! Time for a famous Vaucluse yearling auction? :wink:

Getting to the stage you could have your own yearling sale Jason  ;D

65 Broadmares  :astonished:

I completely forgot when the Select Auction was Holly otherwise I would have been fighting with you for a few of those beauties sigh always happens when I have an extremely busy week.  :frowning:

Holly and I picked the horses for the select auction with full approval and input by Shanthi  in what we sent to her before she put them up for sale

Lindsay,

LOL! I knew something was missing! Though, I missed out on a lot last year getting married n all…lol. Thanks for being busy…:evil grin:  :wink:

Full thanks to both of you, some really nice horses in there and loooks like most people came away happy.

You guys did a great job selecting horses, if only I hadn’t made a slew of bad $$$ decisions I would have spent more!

Was happy with the 2 I managed to snag.

[color=red]Ch. Cashel’s Conquest (Affirmed (S) x CashelsPossibility (S) by Distinct Possibili (S)). She’s been a VERY consistent runner which is something I need in my barn. >:D Only concern is she hasn’t race since last year, hoping she hasn’t matured past her better racing days. :wink:

[color=blue]Day of Wonder (GCh. My Lucky Day (S) x Townsend Wonder (S) by Townsend Prince (S)). I actually just realized I own his half brother, maybe a switch to jumps is in order for him! This guy also has been ultra consistent, again something my barn needs, hopefully the other horses will catch on! He also hasn’t raced since last year which concerns me a bit but we shall see!

We popped in late in the auction to try not to buy anything but nothing ever goes as planned!

We came home with one. :slight_smile:

[color=blue]Unnamed (by Harvard Bound (S)) There was something about this colt that we just liked. He’s out of the mare Showgirl (S) whom is also a Reine-De-Course (I). She hasn’t produced the classiest foals, but she does have a high number of winners (78%).

Even though we got him for $75,000, he’ll be interesting to play with.

Spent way more than I intended but I got both horses that I wanted!

[color=red]Furore is a lovely little bay filly with a lot of chrome. She’s by Giant’s Causeway, who is silver-ranked, and Dueces Wild (also silver) who has produced GCh. ShezaWildDevil and Ch. Ain’t Misbehavin’.

[color=blue]Machair is a handsome grey colt. I love Point Given, and he’s my favorite color, so of course I wanted him. Point Given is silver-rated, and his dam, Highland Fern, is a gold-rated broodie by Highland Rogue, who’s a gold-rated broodmare sire. She’s produced an MSW and two stakes-placed runners from three runners.

I have high hopes for them!

Got into the auction action late only because I noticed that my MSW filly’s dam was there. Couldn’t afford the mare but went for broke trying to get my filly’s yearling half-brother (I hope this doesn’t come back to bite me).

Our newest (and last of the year) purchase is a black yearling by A.P. Indy (S)-Whirling Diamond (G), by Whirlaway (S). His temporary name is [color=blue]Archangel Castiel while I come up with something infinitely cooler (or not; I love the nerdy angel, ::)). I hope he earns back his $200,000 price tag and then some; his two half sisters are stakes winners and his relative is the spectacular NCh. SpectacularDiamond. He’s got quite the family name to live up to :astonished: