2014 2YO Auction: How'd You Do?

Got my hands tied on a few horses but one horse is shipping home to start her career at Del Mar!

[color=red]Solar Mystique is a big bay filly by Spectacular Bid-Auburn, by Marquetry. Auburn is a created mare but she looks like a solid producer; I own Solar’s half sister by The Black, Fade to Black, a stakes-placed steeplechaser. Won Solar for 8.5K; maybe she can win it back and then some like that crazy Spectacular Diamond.

I took a really big gamble this year - for the first time ever - and maxed out my bid of $100k to get one lil’ pony…

He’s the 2YO son of my broodmare, ICh. Twilight Embers, the 2008 HOTY.  The only foal she has that has raced is her 3YO, who ran ONCE and won, and hasn’t been raced since (blame FF random entries  ::)).  His sire is Danzig, who has sired several MSWs, and whose only son at stud (now that he’s retired) is War Chant, who was unraced and is bronze-ranked so far, though it’s still early.  Maybe, just maybe, [color=blue]IRISH MULDOON can live up to his mama’s hoofprints, who would have easily won her “studhood” had she been a colt, and make it to the breeding shed someday.  Hey, a girl can dream.   :wink:  At the very least, I’m hoping he pays back his big price tag someday.

Still bidding on one pony but picked up four newbies to join the GB team.

Being a huge fan of Sadlers Wells irl I happily picked up two of his sons for $1000 [color=blue]Dragons Legend out of the created mare Flyaway and [color=blue]Highway Sixty Six out of Double Ways. They’re both 1st foals so we’ll see how they go.

Also picked up [color=blue]Lethal Evil (Red Sunset x Fatal Kisses) who wan’t on the original shortlist. All seven of the dams older runners are winners so he was a steal at $1000.

Most expensive purchase so far at $10,500 was [color=red]Crowd Teaser. She was the ‘must have’ of the auction for me so would have been prepared to pay quite a bit more for her. She’s a half sister to Just Like Ice who I picked up in a claimer from FF earlier this year and who is now stakes placed so high hopes for this little lady.

Edited to say, finally secured the one I was bidding on, picking up [color=red]User Friendly for $50,500. It was more than I intended to pay for her but fortunately I didn’t spend any more than I was prepared to pay for Crowd Teaser so not too bad in the end lol

I’m quite happy to present the new 2yo Tall Oaks just acquired for the price tag of $47,500.

Space Agent
2yo 16.2 hand Grey Gelding
Ring of Fire x Highland Black by Highland Rogue

My other ROF boy has been fairly consistant, but his breeding is nowhere near as good as this guy’s. Ring of Fire won numerous stakes, including the BC Mile, Singapore Airlines International Cup, & Bailey’s Irish Champion stakes, and is Silver ranked. American Black, somehow had a yearling all on her own last year so a script error is showing up and her highlights can’t be accessed. However, she is a daughter of Highland Rogue and American Black (The Black), who are both gold ranked, and American Black is bronze ranked. I’m very hopeful that he’ll earn back his purchase price.

Also managed to purchase a cheap Storm Cat granddaughter who I went with just by her name.

Sharp Cat
2yo Dark Grey 15 hand Filly, w/bald face
Cat Strike x Pinishook by Nevada Reality

Both of these guys were on my original to-buy list so I’m pretty happy.

Just the one horse for me. I didn’t get my first pick, but reasonably happy with the filly I walked away with.

[color=red]Talks Alot
2-Y-O, 15.1h black filly
Rahy x Smoke n’ Shadows

Went after this filly basically because Rahy has a good record on the ground with foals from only two crops. This girl has a nice record of 4-2-1-0-1 which will give me something to play with - she’s automatically shot to the top of my best performing 2-Y-Os! She’s the first foal of her dam who didn’t do anything magnificent on the track. All up this girl is probably a tad of a gamble at $90,000 but hopefully we can recoup that (she’s won just shy of $40,000 this year) and get her into stakes category.

It was a gelding-heavy group of wins for me, but I couldn’t be more excited!!

[color=green]Dazzle M All
By [color=blue]Danzig out of [color=red]Win M All, both 7.0+ Silver rated, procured for a pretty reasonable $12,500.

[color=green]Battle On
By Silver rated [color=blue]GCh. My Lucky Day out of the as-yet unrated [color=red]While We’re Waiting. His elder half-sister recently made her career debut with an FF of 185 (!!), however, so we’re pretty excited to see what this guy’s got under his feet! He was our most expensive purchase at $30,500. Fingers crossed, though, and he’s got a money-back guarantee.  :wink:

[color=green]A.P Arrow
Mayfair feels very proud and privileged to have made off with a little piece of [color=blue]A.P. Indy’s heritage! [color=green]Arrow is out of Silver-rated [color=red]Dayatthebeach. He was a pretty solid bargain at just $8,000.

[color=green]Northern Coalminer
Last but certainly not least is this little guy (just 15.2H), a half-brother to [color=green]Dazzle out of [color=red]Free Bird. His mom is even littler at just 15.1H, but she has a great Silver-rated track record as a broodmare, so hopefully there’s proof that good things come in small packages. [color=green]Coalminer was just $500 short of his brother at $12,000.

Got four new ponies to run!

[color=green]Gone Flying $1000
The 2 year old son of my broodmare Swimsuit Model. His older sister and brother (who I also own) are both winners so hopefully this boy can follow in their hoofprints. Also  my first Danzig baby.

[color=blue]Cielo De Oro $1000
By Distinct Possibili and out of War Admiral Lines. I already love DP lines and his siblings have had some good runs.

[color=red]Ateeka $3000
The only girl. Red Sunset daughter, and I’ve grown fond of RS. First foal out of this mare but not the priciest gamble I’ve made.

[color=blue]Global Trade $12,500
The most expensive of the lot but a Points Given son. With PG retired this year this might be my chance to own a PG son.

We came home with three pretty ponies today, one being on the original list so I’m happy.  :slight_smile:

[color=red]Spice Spice Baby - Pricetag: $50,500
14.3h Bay Filly
Highland Laird x Fall From Grace

Baby was the first to come home and was our priciest purchase. She was one of the must haves and I’m very happy that we won her as I’ve been wanting a member of Army Laird under our silks. Fall From Grace is Gold ranked and for good reason too, as all her racing foals are and were winners with four being at Stakes level. Dad needs no introduction I’m sure, and has sired many great horses so we’re hoping this little girl will follow in her family’s hoofprints.

[color=blue]Cassanova Star - Pricetag: $11,500
15.3 Brown Colt
Omaha x Alydarling

We went after this colt by Omaha after looking at his pedigree. Both parents are Silver ranked which is good by our standards, plus I think his lines are interesting. I don’t think we’ll have too much of a problem with him and I’m pretty sure he can earn back his purchase price.

[color=red]Mission Of Love - Pricetag: $14,000
16.1h Dark Bay Filly
Romeo x My Great Love

Mission Of Love was the last to be welcomed home after a long bidding war. I’m very excited to have her because two of my favorite and best runners have Romeo in their lines. My Great Love is an unranked broodmare and only has two foals on the ground, with Mission Of Love being the older of the two siblings but if Love inherited any of the Romeo talent, she should quickly shoot to the top of the crowd and become a favorite. High hopes for this one.  :smiley:

All in all, we spent $76,000 on these three but I think it was worth it. ;D

Spent a lot more than I planned at this auction on just one horse, but I’m pretty happy with him.

[color=blue]Sainthood
15.1h bay colt
Seattle Slew (S) x Boston’s Best (S)

He’s half to a couple of nice horses, most notably GCh. Harvard Bound and silver-ranked producer Jacket Required. He was a $75,500 purchase, but hopefully he shall make up for it when he starts running. :slight_smile:

Got incredibly, incredibly lucky and walked away with this lovely lady.

[color=red]Light of Ceres
15.1hh blue roan filly
Cigar (S) x Seeing Starz (G)

She’s 1/2 sister to FFCh. Starz AFire, WCh. Strider, NCh. Gazelle, NCh. Starz ‘n’ Stripes and GCh. Starzen.  I am fond of Cigar, since he sired one of our racers, NCh. Unconditional.  So to get both Starz and Cigar in one neat package totally made my day.

Stunned.  Sheepish.  And incredibly excited about this one.  ;D

Since I couldn’t get my first choice (Cat :stuck_out_tongue:), I ended up spending the max 100k on a Devil May Care colt.

[color=blue]Double The Devil
14.3hh black colt
NCh. Devil May Care (S) x Doubletake (G)

Because Devil May Care retired I just couldn’t resist snapping up another colt, especially when he is 1/2 sibling to NCh. Sneak Peak (at stud), WCh. Double Cross (at stud), Ch. Rodeo, and Ch. CatchMeIfYouCan.  I also own 1/2 sibling Walk of Fame who is now retired in the barn, so this choice was easy :wink:

I managed to get 2 horses who i hope will do well

[color=blue]Diagon

16.1h | Dapple Grey Colt
by Unbridled out of Bug In A Rug

[color=red]Piattola

16.1h | Dark Bay Filly
by Mr. Prospector out of Victory Flick

Spent a total of $21,500