2012 How'd You Do?

I thought I would start up this thread as the horses are beginning to sell, and I have 4/5 possible purchases so far :wink:

[color=red]Unnamed - 2012 weanling filly, Seattle Slew (S) x Ch. Little Franco (G), 1/2 sibling to MSW Ch. Lilā€™ Bit Oā€™Class and SP Ch. High Fidelity. I purchased her mostly for the Seattle Slew bloodlines because of my mare Midnight Danger :wink:

[color=blue]Unnamed - 2011 yearling colt, GCh. Majorā€™s Flight x Times Ebony (G), 1/2 sibling to MSW WCh. Nightfight and WCh. Gotta Go, and SW Ch. High Times. Good solid breeding on both sire and dam side with Jazz It Up and Reine-de-Course mare Thatā€™s Debatable on the sire side.

[color=red]Lady In Residence - 2001 broodmare, Resident Evil (B) x Lady Temperence (S), dam of MSW GCh. Heiress and Ch. Pleasant Lady. Really wanted to buy her as her dam Lady Temperence is a Reine-de-Course broodmare.

[color=red]Tribal Flame - 2010 2yo filly, Planet Hollywood (S) x Ch. Bonfire (S), 1/2 sibling of MSW Ch. Midnight Fire and SW Ch. Signal Fire. Her grand-dam Evening Flame was also a Reine-de-Course broodmare.

To be honest, Iā€™ve found more super-stars at the annual foal auction than the select auction (Iā€™ve had some FABULOUS duds/horses that have never won back their purchase price), so I donā€™t know why I keep on coming back and dropping crazy amounts of $$ on these ponies.Ā  I originally was only go to bid on these two (see below), butā€¦ Well, letā€™s just say Iā€™ve still got some bids that Iā€™m waiting to go through.

Joey Three Socks, 1998 broodmare, Joey Martin x Knock 'Em Dead
Iā€™ve liked this mare for a long time.Ā  I purchased Snips and Snails back in 2010 when her only foal to race, NCh. Black Warrior was still a maiden (albeit, a very nice horse and consistent placer).Ā  So, when she came on the market, I jumped at the chance to snag her.Ā  Sheā€™s already 14, going on 15 which means sheā€™s entering the dangerous retirement zone for mares.Ā  Iā€™m hoping sheā€™s got a late retirement date.

Unnamed 2012 colt, Bold Ruler x Trouble Ahead

Bugger has solid lines.Ā  All of his siblings, except one, is at the very least stakes placed (even the 2yo!).Ā  Iā€™m hoping heā€™ll get himself studified, and thus aid in my quest to get a Bold Ruler (non-King David) son to breed to Out of Tune.Ā  Iā€™m determined on this one. =)

Very pleased thus far.

Shanthi,

I bought a weanling filly by Majorā€™s Flight out of Lady of Mystery. I did a Search Horses for the name Bermuda Triangle and it came back with no match found, however, when I went into Edit Horse Information for this filly and tried to change her name (she was Unnamed), it said that there is already a horse named Bermuda Triangle. I did another search after that and it still came back with no match.

Could you please check into this for me. Thanks.

This has been brought up many times.Ā  Names are ā€œreservedā€ if there are existing horses using the name, or if anyone is related to horses with that name.Ā  So if someone has a pedigree with a grandsire/granddam named Bermuda Triangle, you cannot use the name.

Woohoo!
I finally got to participate in the Select Auction, although I kept myself on a very limited budgetā€¦
Iā€™m incredibly pleased with both of the lovely ladies I got to bring home.

First, I was happy (and surprised!) to be able to snag [color=red]The Cover Girl, a 1997 silver-ranked broodmare from created lines.Ā  I was especially hoping to get her because I currently own her weanling daughter by Alydar, Alyglamour.Ā  Hopefully the cross turns out to be a good one, too, because The Cover Girl is in foal to Alydarā€™s son, Alley Cat.Ā  Looks like this will be my first dam & foal-to-race combo come springtimeā€¦fun!Ā  Even though Alyglamour isnā€™t a homebred, it feels almost as such since I bought her as a weanling and named herā€¦

Next up was another pretty gal, [color=red]Always A Lady, a 1996 silver-ranked chestnut broodmare from created lines.Ā  She was purchased mainly for her pretty name, pretty markings, and 'cause sheā€™s in foal to Giantā€™s Causeway, who is a pretty stud.Ā  Ā :PĀ  Sheā€™s due January 1st, though, so I sure hope she holds her baby in for a while!

We had a very good Auction, getting four new additions to our stables.

There were two horses that we were specially interested in, an unnamed weanling filly by our new Stallion, [color=red]Majorā€™s Flight out of [color=red]Lady of Mystery, a broodmare that has already produced one horse that we own, and [color=red]Lady of Mystery herself. We were successful in getting both of them, [color=red]Lady of Mystery for $76,000 and her daughter for $78,000. As a bonus, [color=red]Lady of Mystery is in foal to War Chant and is due in April of next year.

The weanling has been named [color=red]Amelia Earhart, after the female aviator who mysteriously disappeared while on an around the world flight. We originally thought of [color=red]Bermuda Triangle, but, as noted above, that name has already been used in FF.

On a whim, we also picked up two current racehorses for very low prices, simply because they both have pretty decent form and should add to the Starfish Stables coffers. [color=red]Runfortheroses, a 3YO colt by Whirlaway out of Wine nā€™Roses, cost us $30,000, and [color=red]Cryptaware, a 5YO horse by Delaware Township out of Scale House cost us $10,000.

We had three other horses that we had bid on but dropped out of the bidding when their prices went over our limit and two horses that, although we are the high bidder, our maximum bid is less than the reserve and weā€™re not going to increase our bid for them. All-in-all, we think we had a very good auction.

Hello everybody!

Weā€™re still waiting on three to clear, but weā€™ve one the bidding on two so farā€¦

Chivalrahy piqued our interest as she is out of KindleHope Farmsā€™ broodmare, Heroic Encounter. That makes her 1/2 to MSW and multi-millionaire Duplicate Copy. And, since Iā€™m obsessed with pedigrees, I think as a BM sheā€™ll cross well with any son of No Duplicate (keep your fingers crossed for me), or ND himself if he manages to stay with us into the ripe old golden years. Iā€™m also very intrigued by Rahy,Ā  as I LOVE him in RL, and I think heā€™s got dynamite potential as a BM sire.

Slew Oā€™Diamonds was purchased as we raced her daughter, A.P. Diamond who sadly died giving birth to her first foal, a colt by No Duplicate. SOD is currently in foal to Rahy.

Iā€™ll keep you posted on the rest,
Kerry

Wellā€¦we started out with the idea that we didnā€™t need anymore horses, then that quickly changed to,ā€œwell, maybe one weanling.ā€,and as you can see we now have four new additions to the CDS clan. lolā€¦introducingā€¦

[color=red]Ramayana - previously unnamed weanling - (WCh. Highland Bandit (S) X Fantasyland (G))
This was the filly we thought was going to be our only purchase.Ā  I have always wanted a foal out of Fantasyland and am super happy to have a filly out of her now.Ā  Highland Bandit is a bonus being her sire. :slight_smile:Ā  She is half to MSW GCH. Neverland and MSW GCh. A.P. Fantasy who was also the 2005 Steeplechase filly Eclipse award winner.

[color=blue]Times Of Glory - previously unnamed weanling - (Lonesome Glory (S) X Times Ebony (G))
This was the other colt offered this year out of gold rated broodmare Times Ebony.Ā  I have a special place for her lines because of my first stallion WCh. Nightfight and it doesnā€™t hurt that heā€™s also half to WCh. Gotta Go.Ā  I think the Lonesome Glory lines will make for a good all round colt.Ā  We are really excited to have another Times Ebony colt in the barn.

[color=red]Hollywood Cigar - previously unnamed weanling - (Cigar (G) X On A Dare (G))
First we were drawn to this filly because she was a Cigar daughter, but after some more thorough investigation we found that On A Dare is FULL sister to our beloved ICh. Noteasybeingreen (SP for 6 years and SW for 4!)We always wondered what it would have been like to breed him and now we have the next closest thing!Ā  Hope she turns out as fun to race as her uncle!!

and last but not leastā€¦

[color=blue]Wizard Joe - previously unnamed yearling - (NCh. Highland Wizard (S) X Ch. Iā€™m Yours Joe (G))
Though we had a hard time paying that much for a yearling the select auction has a morbid way of digging in your pockets.Ā  Wizard Joe is 3/4 sibling to MSW Multimillionaire stallion WCh. Iā€™m Your Angel.Ā  Other than that we have a winner and a placer on his dams side.Ā  But Highland Wizard has proven himself with some pretty righteous babies and him being a Worth son and out of platinum broodmare Highland Sorceress, I think this baby has some proven lines to push him.Ā 

And thatā€™s all for CDS at the Select this year.Ā  Super happy. :slight_smile:

So, huh, when is Times Ebony going up for auction herself? heheā€¦:wink:

[color=red]One Last Time is a 1997 silver rated broodmare from created lines. Sheā€™s currently in foal to A.P. Indy and due April 5th :smiley: Iā€™m very excited to have purchased her (even if she did revert back to Final Furlong for now heh), though her price tag of $90,000 hurt a wee bit.

She will be our only purchase in the Select Auction this year :slight_smile:

Well since i had put 3 horses in the auction , I had not planned on any purchases , however i saw a name i had wanted to use myself and had to check him out and fell in love, hopefully he will earn back his purchase price and more, he seems to be a nice runner , tho at 2 its hard to say what his future holds.

[color=red]Road to PerditionĀ  Ā ,Dark grey ,Star, snip, RF Coronet, LH Ermine,Height: 15.1h
by Bad Blood,Ā  00- Bad Bad Boy, x-Royal Blood
out of-Shes Trouble , by-Trouble Abounds,00-Shes Purdy

finalfurlong.org/viewhorse.php?horse=10015

As it always seems to go, Iā€™d only planned on purchasing oneā€¦ and I came home with 5. Oh dearā€¦
Nevertheless, the other three pretty ladies are as follows:

GCh. Clear A Path looked like a good buy for a few reasons besides being a GI stakes winner! Weā€™ve shipped her back to the farm for a breather. I think weā€™ll see if we can find a race for her to have fun in again.Ā  Her dam produced some top notch horses, and sheā€™s the first Easy Goer that Iā€™ve ever had; sheā€™ll be a great outside line to add to KindleHope.

Heroic Lass is a 1/2 sister to KindleHopeā€™s Heroic Encounter, so I instantly thought that she would be another perfect cross to No Duplicate. Sheā€™s a fabulous BM who is the dam of GCh. Simply Heroic, Ch. Green Light and Highlander. She has a weanling filly by Alley Cat that should be dynamite, and is currently in foal to War Chant for 2013.

Again, the drive to studify a No Duplicate son pushed this purchase as well. Lady Be Good is a silver ranked BM who has produced Ch. Chiefā€™s Lady and Ch. Up To No Good (who is by No Duplicate!). Big, black, gorgeous mare, whoā€™s also in foal to Rahy for 2013. Perfect!

• Kerry

Well, I went in hoping to get a few studly prospects, but instead, I came away with bids on a few broodies. So far we have only had one mare, and I like the looks of her.

[color=red]Texas Rose is a big 16.3h chestnut mare from created lines, and we got her for $50,000. She was born in 1998, but she didnā€™t start racing until she was five, and then finished out her six year old season. She only ran as a steeplechaser and was in the money all 15 of her starts, winning five. Tex is silver rated, and out of five foals on the ground all are winners, including two stakes placed foals. Sheā€™s currently in foal to Alley Cat, so weā€™re very excited.

Still have a bid out on one other mare.

Weā€™ve added two more, because I really canā€™t turn down a nice racing prospect.Ā  I admit, i am a sucker for a pretty face and a pretty pedigree.

Lonely at the Top, yearling colt, Lonesome Glory (S) x Ch. Jungle Queen (G)

Iā€™m half in love with Lonesome Glory, not Laird-crazy like, but I really do like him.Ā  I have two broodies by him, one filly whoā€™s finally started to like racing, and I figured itā€™d be nice to have a colt by him running under our colors.Ā  His dam has thrown two multiple stakes winnersā€“Ch. Lion King, and Ch. Treasured Secret (both currently owned by FFā€¦so you know they could be even scarier!), and several winners.Ā  His full brother, a 2yo, has yet to start.Ā 

This I Believe, weanling filly, Affirmed (S) x Donā€™t Give Up (G)

This was a straight-up sentimental purchase.Ā  I own her 1/2 brother MSW. Determined (g. 06Ā  by Black Knight), who really ran his heart out for me. He retired this year, and so picking up his 1/2 sister seemed like the natural thing to do.Ā  Believeā€™s full sister, Donā€™t Let Go is stakes placed.Ā  Very excited about this one.Ā  The nameā€™s from a segment on NPR where people write short statements of what they believe in.Ā 

Love the name This I Believe, Cat. :slight_smile:Ā  Such a cool segment on NPR.

Just one for me.

[color=red]Chance It is a 12 year old broodmare by Risk It out of the Reine-de-course and Gold ranked mare Gimme A Chance.Ā  She is silver ranked and has 5 foals of racing age, all winners, two are stakes placed and another two are stakes winners, including her 2 y/o!Ā  She is in foal to Harvard Bound for a March foal.

She sold for $75,000.

Battle Hill made 4 purchases at the 2012 Select Auctionā€¦

1st was an unnamed weanling filly who we have named [color=red]Blind Dateā€¦ Sired by GCh. Highland Laird (S) and out of recently retired Fire de Flame (G)ā€¦ I turned down Fire de Flame in foal with this filly as a CW prize and took her yearling son Magic Dealer by Must Be Magic instead. She is 3/4 to MSW Ch. Turn nā€™Burn (owned by Battle Hill), SP Ch. Flawless Victory, 1/2 to MSW Secret Flame, SW Firebrand, SP Ch. Worthy Too and Ch. Sonnyā€™s Blues (owned by Battle Hill)ā€¦ This filly has a solid pedigree and is part of Army Lairdā€¦ We canā€™t wait til she grows up and hits the trackā€¦

2nd was Reine-de-Course[I] mare [color=red]Take Account (S)ā€¦ with created lines she has had 10 foals 6/7 winners and 2 MSWā€¦ She is in foal to Ch. Irish River for 1/8/13ā€¦ I was so excited to find out I had gotten this mareā€¦ and we are looking forward to her foal next yearā€¦

3rd was an unnamed yearling colt we have named [color=blue]Backdraft Sired by our stallion Ch. Turn nā€™Burn (who we purchased last year at the 2011 select sale) and out of Ch Manhattan Skyline (G) she has only 2 foals to race so far and both are winners and 1 is SPā€¦ this is another youngster with solid bloodlinesā€¦ and I needed one of Ch. Turn nā€™Burns foals to promoteā€¦

Our 4th and final purchase was [color=red]Easy Trick Sired by Easy Goer (S) and out of Top Trick (B)ā€¦ Raced lightly as a 4 yo she is a SWā€¦ she hasnā€™t raced since 11/11ā€¦ so we are going to finish her out this year and send her to the broodband in the springā€¦

All in all very pleased with our purchases this yearā€¦

Picked up 2 yearling colts this yearā€¦

Crazy Like A Fox (Gallant Fox x Lady Luck)

Half to MSWs Luck Is A Rogue and Given Trouble. I havenā€™t had a chance to try a Gallant Fox foal so I was happy to get him.

Pandemic (Highland Mystery x Fantasies Oā€™ War)

Originally named Handful of Trouble, but for some reason this name kept sticking in my mind. Somehow this colt caught my eye when I first saw him, to the point where I woke up one morning thinking ā€˜Oh darn, I shouldā€™ve placed a bid on himā€¦ā€™ When I saw he was still up for grabs, I therefore pounced. I think I just like a chance to have a colt with both Highland and Man Oā€™ War linesā€¦itā€™s an interesting combination to me. And, heā€™s 1/2 to Iron Man.

Anyways ā€“ thatā€™s it for me, this year. :slight_smile:

Picked up one more late addition:-

[color=red]Ch. Card Trick, a nice looking 5YO son of Cozzene. He has pretty decent form with four wins (including two Stakes wins) and five seconds out of 16 starts, finishing out of the money only once. He cost more than we would have liked to spend but, if he runs anywhere near his previous form, he should make this back fairly quickly.

That makes it five purchases at this auction, so now we are forced to sit on our hands and watch the rest of it. That should make our Bank Manager happy :slight_smile:!!!

Nan, good luck with Pandemic.Ā  His original name sprung from the fact that he was born fully grown.Ā  His dam was none too pleased with that, and it was trouble for Shanthi.Ā  I think Pandemic suits him better, though.Ā  =)