2009 Auction: How did ya do?

It’s a little early to post this, but my bids are done and I saw quite a few horses were sold already. This is my first major auction, and I was hoping to come home with one filly.  Well that’s definately not what I brought home.  Instead I came home with 3 more boys (along with the 2 I bought the end of last year)  So 5 boys all in all, but here are the 3 I brought home.  I am pretty happy though I am dissapointed I lost out on Bright Jewel.

[color=blue]Uno Dos Tres is a cute little 14.1 hh light chestnut.  I thought his name was cute, and at $1,000 he was a steal.

The next boy, is named [color=blue]I Prefer Ladies is also just 14.1 hh, though he is a liver chestnut.  I couldn’t give up a name like that, and I only paid $1,000 for him as well. 

Last but not least, [color=blue]American Original will be joining us.  He’s like the other two, at 14.1 hh and he’s a pretty brown color. 

Out of the 3 of them, I am sure they’ll earn back at least what I paid for them.  How’d everyone else do?

We have won on all four geldings that we finally settled on after it was clear the fillies were too much for our budget.

First one home is [color=green]Captain’s Orders, a dark bay gelding by Giant’s Causeway-Brassy ‘n’ Sassy, by Awesome Again (B). He stands at a solid 15.0 hands and is a member of Causeway’s first crop. At 1K he’s guaranteed to earn it back this year.

Now this boy I did not want to lose so I had to fight a bit but he’s now home and ready to train with our other 2yos. [color=green]Now’s The Time is a gorgeous black son of Tiznow-Sunday Ribbons, by Sunday Silence (S). He grew .1 hands to 15.3 during the auction, and is the biggest of our 2yos so far. He has the distinction of being the only Tiznow gelding in the auction (and yes, I am a huge fan of Tiznow, both irl and on FF). He was 15.5K; hopefully he’ll earn that back this year.

I’m pretty amused that my two wins so far are sons of stallions who in real life provided us with an amazing one-race rivalry.

We have now won a Rahy-Come On Sunday, by Sunday Silence (S) gelding named [color=green]Klassique Nite, who stands at 15.1 hands is brown and cost 10K. Our barn is literally under assault from Sunday Silence this year as in less than a week we’ve found ourselves in possession of a son and two grandsons of the silver-ranked stallion.

Last of all is [color=green]Raise A Cheer, by Rumor Has It (B)-Huzzah, by El Prado. He is another dark bay, and also grew during the auction, now standing at 15.3 hands. He is the only one whose sire is ranked, and he cost a cool 7K.

We are going to have our hands full once the 2yo season starts as we now have eight overeager green youngsters bouncing around the training track back at the farm.

I still have 3 bids waiting, but I have 2 already, so if i dont get the others, Im happy. They both have created lines.

The first colt is [color=blue]Euphrosyne a 15.1hh black colt. I wanted him because I lovveeeee black horses and I liked his name. I am curious about the name, so I will have to do some research.

The other one is also a colt named [color=blue]Ocean Bell. He is brown and a wee 13.3hh, so he’s got some growing to do. I also picked him because of his name.

The third a final horse is a gelding by the name of [color=blue]Vampire Moon. He is 14.1hh and grey.

I sure bought some small ones haha.;D

My goal was to get some decent height geldings/colts (I had 6 girls and 1 boy starting as 2 Year Olds this year) and I am quite happy with my picks.

My top pick I was excited to get for only $3000 was [color=green]Such A Scandal. At 15.0hh he’ll start when the races open for him. His father is Rumor Has It (Plant Hollywood x Street Talk) and his dam is Swimsuit Model (A. P. Indy x Bertha’s Bikini). I wanted a Rumor foal because I have a mare I really like out of Planet Hollywood and his granddam on that side is a producer of two standing studs. Swimsuit Model is out of A.P. Indy and her dam has a special place in my heart (I own three of her sons). I’m really looking forward to seeing him run.

The next three are all out of created lines. Dwedle Dan ($1000) is 15.2hh and liver chestnut, which is one of my favourite colours. HippieHippie Shake ($1000) is 16.1hh and red chestnut, my first red chestnut in the game. [color=blue]Wild Oranges ($3000) is the only colt of the lot and is 16.0hh just plain chestnut.

Last year I picked up three giant (of course I also spent $35K as opposed to $8k this year) geldings all from created lines so I’m hoping my little ragtag team of chestnuts will earn their oats :slight_smile:

We went into the auction with plans to buy one horse, [color=red]Skip to Glory, a filly by one of our Stallions, [color=blue]ICh. Magic Glory. We did get her but had to pay a little over what we had hoped. Hopefully she’ll earn that back and more in her racing career.

She is the third progeny of our two Stallions that we now own, the other two being [color=red]Alimony and [color=red]Amelia Earhart, yearling fillies by [color=blue]GCh. Major’s Flight. Both stallions will have their first crop racing this year and we will be following them with great interest.

I really only had one horse in mind to purchase,but ended up getting two near identical ‘bookends’.First up is a [color=blue]ICh. Ring of Fire son by the name of [color=green]Addendum,and second is a [color=blue]GCh. Starzen(B) daughter by the name of [color=red]Change Your Stars.Both of the new arrivals to Mahogany Grove stand in at 14.3 and are black with minimal white markings.

Picked up two

A filly by Highland Mystery x Enlightened named [color=red]That Thing You Do, I loved the name  :wink: :astonished: and she stands at 16.1 so hopefully comes to hand quickly

While number 2 is a created gelding called [color=green]Oh Nine, stands at 15.2, no other reason than he hadn’t attracted a bid until I did  ;D

I couldn’t pass up picking up a gelding from this years auction.  I always find that some of the best deal come across in these auctions. Anyways I picked up one…

Keep The Beat (War Chant X Fleet Time)

Pure black, 16.2h gelding.  I loved the name and size and he’s beautiful to boot. :slight_smile: I liked the fact that he’s by War Chant (I sold my War Chant baby a while ago) and Fleet Time is by Silver rated parents.  So I figured 10,500 was a good deal. :slight_smile:

I really need to stop buying horses… ::)

[color=red]Star Rising is a 15h dark bay filly from created lines.  I really liked the name and she wasn’t too expensive for a filly.  ($13,500)

[color=green]Ring of Stars is a 14.2h gray gelded son of ICh. Ring of Fire (Cross Roads (G) - Playing with Fire (G)) out of the unraced created mare Star Imp.  Since he is Star Imp’s first foal and from ROF’s first crop, I took a gamble on ROF’s ability to stamp his racing awesomeness on his babies.  Hope it pays off!  ($17,500)

Finally, [color=red]Katan Na Oishii is a 15.1h black daughter by Rahy out of MSW MSP Ch First and Only.  Paid a pretty penny for her, but she should be worth it.  If anyone knows the translation on her name, I’d love to know!  ($45,500)

We picked up just one horse, [color=green]Qin’s Pride (Sadler’s Wells x Ready Symbol). Qin is a gorgeous dark bay that measures in at 15.2hh. Neither of his parents raced or have foals on the track, so he’ll be hard to figure out. He was a steal at just $1000.

If it’s Japanese, like I think it is supposed to be…it’s hard to tell without the kanji.  If it’s Japanese, it’s also gramatically incorrect (If katan is indeed a “na” adjective). My gut reaction is that they were going for “Katana Oishii” i.e. “Delicious Sword.”  More gramatically: “Oishii Katana” or “Katana ga Oishii Da/Desu”  I don’t know what “katan” is off the top of my head.

I impressed myself by staying under my $15k budget, but I still probably spent too much with my limited funds.

[color=blue]His Honor came first, and he’s a 15.2 strawberry roan colt from created lines.  I really wanted a strawberry roan, and was happy to pick him up for only $2000.

[color=green]Xplicit is a flea bitten grey gelding that cost me $6500, more than I meant to spend on any one horse.  He is also from created lines, but I just kind of had a good feeling about him.

My last buy was the gelding [color=green]Artax Chance, another flea bitten grey from created lines.  He’s 16.2 and I wanted him mainly for his size.  At $5500 I hope he’s worth it.

Thanks!  Its much prettier not in english  ::)

It bugs me when people do stuff like this, especially if they’re not 100% sure on what they’re writing in that language.  For example, I know a few words in French. I think T

Well, I spent waaay too much, but I got the two horses I wanted. 

First back to Coleman Branch was [color=blue]Lonely Road, a 15.2h, light grey create colt.  He was a deal at $5,500. 

After a somewhat lengthy battle of the bids, [color=red]Fairy War was loaded onto the trailer to head for home.  The 15.1h black daughter of Sadler’s Wells cost us a cool $85,500.  Her mom is a daughter of Man O’War, her dad a son of Northern Dancer.  Here’s hoping she lives up to her lineage and her price.

Hey,

I decided to pick up a few fillies from two new famous stallions in the game that I’m so excited for I didn’t want to have to wait to breed them!

Dance Champion is by Giant’s Causeway, and the first foal of created mare, Dance Star. Her created pedigree was very pretty for RL racing, so props to whomever sourced that one. Dance Champion is a very pretty mahogany bay, and has grown 1/4 of a hand since the auction to stand at 16.1. We’ll let her chill at KindleHope for a bit to see when the growth spurt stops, and see how she fares as a member of Giant’s Causeway’s first crop.

Missed it - oops!

I am a little late on this one…It was the first year I had money to be involved in…
Well I too found fillies to much money but I really needed some boys anyways…I am happy to say I got two that I like and welcomed into my barn…
The first one I got is http://www.finalfurlong.org/viewhorse.php?horse=16086[color=blue]Outofmymind He is a spunky 14.2 Dark Grey stud colt This little guy looks very promising for my stable!
The second boy I got is http://www.finalfurlong.org/viewhorse.php?horse=16099[color=blue]Heliopolis This very little dark grey boy stands at a small 14.0 He may be small but he has a huge heart…next Secretariate(sorry for bad spelling of this great horse)
Well I am very happy with my results this year…I spent a small 21000 and got what I wanted…Yay!! :wink: