2008 Racing: Upcoming Features/Ideas

All right, guys, I will try

and list all the various features I’m planning on including for real-time racing…I may

forget some, but feel free to suggest anything that comes to mind (within reason

:wink:).

–Races 2 times per week (Wednesdays &

Saturdays)[*]Dirt/Turf/SC racing (horses will have a preference

score for each)[*]Confidence - horses will have a “mental” score that will be

determined by their quality compared to the quality of the field, as well as previous races

(i.e. if a horse comes off a win they will be more confident next time out, and

vice-verse)[*]Surface preferences - horses will have a preference score for

each surface, rather than just for/against mud[*]Running preference - instead

of having a set “style” (sprinter, steady, closer), horses will have preferences for 4

different styles (on lead, off pace, midpack, and closer). The jockey will attempt to figure

out what their best score is and try and get them to run that way, but all 4 will most likely

be used during a race.[*]Jockeys - I don’t know if this will be fully

implemented by January, but eventually FF will have a “pool” of 50 or so jockeys, all with

different stats/abilities, and these will affect your horse’s

run.[*]Ratability - how much and how quickly your horse will respond to a

jockey’s commands[*]Pissyness - related to Ratability, it also affects your

horse’s confidence level, etc.[*]Stride length - instead of having set

“scores” for minimum/average/maximum speeds, each horse will have a stride length for each

type of running.[*]Acceleration - the rate at which your horse can go from

one stride length to another.[*]Loafing - probably in a stride length, this

will be how hard your horse runs after he has the lead…some horses just slack off, others

keep going and win Belmonts by 31 lengths. :slight_smile:[*]Injuries - injuries will be

more likely if your horse has a low soundness and/or dislikes the track

surface.[*]Traffic - horses will move in to the rail, get bumped, swing wide

on turns, etc. (Hopefully…this is the most challenging part of the overhaul thus far.

:slight_smile:)[*]Competition level - Not yet sure how this will be implemented, but

horses will have a “base” competition level, like allowance or claiming. Some horses (see

Gary’s What A Wonder – he did decently in GIIs, set speed records in GIIIs, and bombed in

GIs) can run well in certain races but you move them up a class, even with the same distance

and same quality of field, and they choke.[*]Fitness - Horses can be

fit/unfit. Unfit horses will be more likely to be injured,

probably.[*]Training - eventually, you will be able to train your horses and

do workouts. No other info as of yet, and don’t look for it anytime soon.

:wink:[*]Weather forecast - At the beginning of the week (Sundays, probably)

there will be a forecast for weather for that week. The day before the race, there will be

an updated forecast, and people will be able to scratch their horses after entries close (but

will receive no refund of fee).[*]Post positions - horses will be assigned

post positions for the race, which will be available at the same time as the weather

forecast. Again, scratching will be enabled after entries close without entry

fee.[*]Animation - Eventually (as in, by 2009, hopefully :wink:), you will be

able to view the races with Flash animations.Instead of running it

by distance until the horses have run the full distance (as WTW does now), ATW (At The Wire,

our pseudonym for the overhaul :wink:) will run the race by time until the horses have run the

distance of the race. Hopefully that way we will be able to incorporate things like slowing

down around a turn, etc. Also, this should help fix the random huge margins that WTW likes

to create. :slight_smile:

I’m sure there are more things I’m forgetting, but those are the basic

ideas for now. :slight_smile:

Comments? Questions? Suggestions?

If you just read that and are

starting to worry that your GI winner may get assigned bad stats in ATW, don’t worry about

it. We are going to attempt to translate current stats over into the new system. They may

change some since at the moment for instance there isn’t any stat saying how a horse handles

traffic so those will have to be generated randomly. But hopefully the overall quality of

each horse should stay the same. :slight_smile: So no panic-ing.

Andrea

I think everything sounds

awesome. I know you talked about this but i didn’t see anything in the post, but what about

stamina? And are we going to know how much time a horse needs off after a race or how tired

they are after a race? I know that would be REALLY helpful…especially with those horses

that are hard to keep sound.

Anything that hasn’t been

mentioned will remain (roughly) the same as it currently is. So for stamina, horses will

still have a set distance that they can run at ave/max speed before they have to slow

down.

I have a feeling that the beginning (Jan-May, probably) of 2008 will be highly

challenging since, given the way this semester has gone, I can’t promise anything on how

much coding I’ll be able to do during next semester. However, eventually you will probably

have some sort of option to “consult” with a trainer/jockey/etc, to see how your horse came

out of the race, and/or randomly check how your horse is doing 3 days later or whatnot. :wink:

Like GOTs, those reports won’t be 100% accurate, but should give an idea.

Oh, Shanthi…I love the

pissyness factor!

Finally, those moody beings can have an even greater affect as to how

they run. Now we gotta make sure they’re happy and perky as well as fast. :slight_smile:

Yay for

the coding happy Shanthi!

Oh.
My.
God.

I’m

floored. Seriously. This is going to be amazing. More than amazing. It’s going to be… FF!

lol :smiley: Very happy and eager member here!

hahaha i like the mood thing

too, because its so much more realistic. i mean, if your horse is in a bad mood, it wont

want to run! and i love the loafing! only the superhorses keep on running when there’s no

compitition! now where can i find a superhorse? looks under rock :smiley:

WOW! WOW! WOW! WOW! WOW! WOW!

WOW! WOW! WOW! WOW! WOW! WOW! WOW! WOW! WOW! WOW! WOW! WOW! WOW! WOW! WOW! WOW! WOW! WOW!

WOW! WOW! WOW! WOW! WOW! WOW! WOW! WOW! WOW! WOW! WOW! WOW! WOW! WOW! WOW! WOW! WOW! WOW!

WOW! WOW! WOW! WOW! WOW! WOW! WOW! WOW! WOW! WOW!

Hey, with the jockey thing,

how much control will we have over who is assigned to run on the horse? Will we be able to

book certain jockeys or something like that? Will certain jockeys request our horse to ride

or something? That’d be kinda cool!

I’m so over the moon, Final Furlong totally rules

the world!

I don’t know if you’ll be

able to request certain jockeys or not. However, giving jockeys instructions on how to ride

is on the list, though don’t look for it soon. :wink:

Oh I don’t care…

Everything else is SOO COOL! :smiley:

Have I died??? I think so

because I do believe I’m in heaven!

A TOTALLY speechless,
Jade

Could we be able to

have/request match races in 2008?

Possibly, I don’t know.

:blink: :blink: :blink:

:blink: :blink: :blink: :blink: