2008 Auction: How'd You Do?

I bid on three, two fillies and a gelding.  I didn’t fight it once the fillies’ bids got up over $20,000.  I just can’t afford to spend that kind of money.  The gelding I bid on specifically because the name just struck me as hilarious.  His pedigree was generated and I’m hoping he does well. 

[color=green]I Toad You So out of Fine As Frog Hair by Gallopin Cajun.  I got him for $12,500.  Not too bad.  :smiley:

Hee hee! I made the pedigree for I Toad You So. :slight_smile: Hope he does well for you. :smiley:

I was nearly up to my eyeballs in 2 yos to begin with, but I could not resist the siren call of the auction. I’m bringing home two:

[color=red]Samite (Power Nap x Cloth Of Gold) - 15.0h light bay filly with a bald face
I made the pedigree for her as well, and she was the only filly I saw with one of my names, so I decided to go for it. Samite is a kind of silk, in case anyone is wondering. She cost me $32,000.

[color=blue]El Cozumelo (Southoftheborder x World’s Fastest) - 13.1h blue roan colt
Even though he’s pretty small, I chose him because he’s a pretty color, and I liked his name. I think it means ‘swallow’ in Spanish. If that’s the case, then I hope that he’s truly as swift as a swallow is. Surprisingly, he cost me $50,500…I guess I’m not the only one who thinks that blue roans named after birds are cool.

And now, I really am up to my eyeballs in 2 yos.

It’ll be really interesting to see how all these created young 'uns turn out…

I had really good luck with the 2yos I picked up at last year’s auction so I put in a couple of bids.  I was hoping to come home with 2 and ended up with 3, but I’m not complaining. :slight_smile:

[color=green]Cat in the Hat - Loved his name and that’s basically all I looked at.  I’m a big Dr. Seuss fan.  He currently stands 14h so he’ll stay in the barn until later this summer.  I went for gelded colts as my stud situation is already confusing.

[color=green]Improvisation - Another one picked for his name.  Also 14h, also will not start until later this summer. :slight_smile:

[color=red]Riddle Me This - Our only filly purchase of the auction.  She’s also at 14h and so she’ll get to grow up some while we wait for the races to thin out. 

All 3 were bought for a pretty reasonable price so we’re hopeful that they’ll do well for us.

As this was my first 2yo auction i was surprised how tough it was to get horses for cheap. So I went a little over budget, But no complaints!! I walked away with these four:

[color=green]Glowing Cat was the first to step out of the auction ring. He’s a 15h, Dark Grey and he is super cute.

[color=green]Kuoni is just adorable and I love his name. He’s the runt of the group at 13.2h he is a Grey also.

[color=green]Inherited is one of the larger horses. He’s a 17.1h Dark Grey.

[color=red]Jade Suade is the only girl of the group. She’s a 14h Dark Grey.

Well the theme was Grey this year. :slight_smile:

I picked up 2 colts because the Ladies outnumber the Gents in my 2yo barn

[color=blue]Armory First attracted to his name, then his color. Blood bay! I love the color and even though the pedigrees are created, I couldn’t help but be attracted to his. I am a fan of Sweetsouthernsaint.

[color=blue]Three Whiskies Not sure exactly why I picked him, a hunch maybe. I actually was only going to pick up one colt, and went back for this one. Let’s hope the hunch paid off.

Competition for them was pretty hot. I didn’t get any deals so lets hope they run.

I did pretty decently. I went for the geldings because: a. they were cheaper and b. they’re all created so I wasn’t too worried about breeding value later on. People sure were spending a lot to get created horses though :astonished:

[color=green]Set The Curve: picked him up for 10.5 k. He’s one of the boys I created so I really wanted him. He’s a cute 15.3 h dark bay.

[color=green]Grassroot Campaign: spent 15.5k on him which was more than I wanted to pay but he was another one I created and I like his name. He’s a monster at 17 hands. Hopefully his long legs = speed!

[color=green]Fair Trial: this boy was the cheapest at 5.5k. I also created him lol (I think 6 of my horses were in the auction). He’s a cute little 15.2 h bright chestnut.

[color=green]Lockbox: Spent 10.5k on this one. He’s the only one I didn’t create but I really like his name. He’s 15.3 h and light bay.

Hopefully one of these boys will turn out decent but creates are such a gamble. We’ll see!

Picked up three boys for good prices:

[color=green]Beyond the Galaxy: I’ve got a soft spot for big horses and this guy is 17hh. I liked his name because I’m a SciFi geek and at 14k he didn’t exactly break the bank.

[color=green]Saffron Kimono: 16hh and I like his colour. We’ll see and again, at 10.5K not bad.

[color=green]Simply Thorny: I went back as an afterthought for him because of the name. He’s 16.1hh, nice deep colour with almost no markings. He was the most expensive at 15K but there was just a hunch with him.

No girls because I only have one consistent winner right now and 39.5k was my spending limit. Now I’ve got a barn full of four 16hh+ 2 YO boys… Let the antics begin!

Couldn’t resist-even though it wasn’t the best for my budget. But I managed to snag [color=green]Hidden From View for only 5.5k. He’s pretty small, so he’ll be hanging out at the farm for the while. I love his color and hopefully he’ll turn out to be a bargain.

So far we’ve managed to bring home 3 new 2YOs (to add to the 3 2YO ladies we already had):

First we won 16.2hh [color=green]Name In Lights, a lovely light bay gelding.  I loved his name, and at $15.5k, he wasn’t TOO pricey.  I couldn’t believe the competition this year!  Last year I snuck away with 3 2YOs for $1,000 each!  Anyhow, here’s hoping this boy knows how to live up to his name…

Second to come home was 15.2hh [color=red]Sheza Hornet, a dainty black filly.  We figure that at 15.2hh, she’s either A) already mature, just not super tall or B) gonna mature to be super tall, so either way she’s HOPEFULLY worth her $35.5k price.  I just picture her being a little spitfire with a name like that, teehee.

Last but not least was 15.1hh [color=green]Fly Away, a cute lil’ dark bay gelding.  As with Sheza Hornet, we figure he could go either way height-wise and we’d still be happy.  Anyhow, I just thought his name was equally cute…and again, hopefully he can live up to it and really fly away from the rest of the field.  Of course…that means both boys will probably prefer dead last…

They join our prior 2YOs, who are also all created: 16.1hh dark grey [color=red]Demand Drama, 13.2hh grey [color=red]Isobella’s Sea, and 15.0hh light bay [color=red]Song Of Singapore.  Last year I only started with 3 2YOs, one of which is now SW Ch. Kiasport (for $1,000!).  I hope this crop can be even half as lucky, especially since it’s twice as big!

I’m also bidding on another, but we’ll see how that goes…  ::)

Originally, we’d intended to come home with two fillies and a gelding for a round $100k.  Plans are made to be broken, though. :slight_smile:

First purchase was the lovely light grey 16.0h filly, [color=red]Guns of Summer (Fire the Guns x Summer Wind).  She’s a big girl, but I think she’s got a little growing to do still.  (The hypothetical mating page says she’ll hit 17.1h!) [Edit: Thanks for correcting this, Shanthi! ;D]  Bought her for $52.5k and hope she’ll earn it back for me. 

The second horse we brought home was the small but (hopefully) mighty light bay gelding, [color=green]Hephaestion.  He was a sentimental purchase, as I created his pedigree.  Anyway, how can you go wrong with such a legendary name?  We topped the bidding war for him at $18k.   

That bug has now been fixed. :stuck_out_tongue:

One last addition to the string:

Cute lil’ 14.3hh light grey [color=green]B A Cowboy for $20.5k…which is more than I wanted to spend (seems to be the trend this year), but not completely ridiculous.  It’s nice to add a light grey runner to my string - I love it!  Plus, who doesn’t love a cowboy??

Our only purchase from the auction turned out to be a bit more expensive than we had planned on (a lot more expensive) at a cool $81,500. Purely a sentimental buy, she’s out of the same stud as one of my very consistent four year olds, who isn’t even in the game.

[color=red]Yankee Picnic is a pretty little 16.1hh dapple grey filly out Yankee Victor by Picnic Basket. I’m not sure if she is close to maturity or not, as she was born in January and is already pretty large. I’m very excited to start racing her. :slight_smile:

FYI–an out of game horse (one that has no in-game parents) is randomly generated.  This means that even if another out of game horse has the same sire, or the same dam, there is no guarantee that they will run like their supposed half-sib. 

Good luck with her, anyway.  She’s cute.

I was bidding on quite a few, but ended up with 3.  All made up, all picked purely for their names.

[color=green]Perfect Control by Controlled Fall out of Flashanaabi.  He’s a 14.3h dark bay gelding with one white foot.  He is a June foal so between that and his height, I’ll probably let him hang out for awhile. ($10,500)

[color=green]War Effort by Judas out of Warthorn.  He is a 15.3h light gray gelding with a blaze and two coronets on diagonal legs.  He is a February foal is has a good amount of height on him so he’ll probably get to run fairly early on in the season.  ($15,500)

[color=green]This Just In by In The Future out of Justified.  Another short guy, he’s 14.1h light bay gelding also with diagonal coronets, but with a star.  He’s a January foal so I would’ve expected him to be a little bit bigger, but he’ll probably just be a late bloomer.  ($7,500)

So not too bad, I was hoping to get another one or two, but wasn’t expecting the bids to get so high, especially for created lines!

Oh I know they aren’t really related. It just makes me feel better to think that she may. :slight_smile: