1/29 Update

More of an announcement than an update. :wink:

I successfully changed the code to work with a newer (better) database system. Problem is, moving the data from the old database to the new database keeps falling over. So right now, thereā€™s no data on the beta site.

Hoping to get things setup so that itā€™s back to daily (or even more frequent) data syncing, but in the meantime donā€™t panic if you canā€™t login/find your horses/anything else useful on the beta site.

Hoping to get to the point where I can actually work on functionality again once this data syncing thing is solved.

Oh dearā€¦ Hope you get that sorted out without too much difficulty.

All right, weā€™re tentatively good to go (mostly) on the database front. (Stable records arenā€™t done, and some budget entries may be wonky. I think everything else is pretty good.)

I havenā€™t tried everything running in an automated fashion, but manually all the data seems to transfer OK.

When I set it up to be automated, itā€™ll probably run about 2-3am EST. The beta site will be in maintenance mode while the database gets updated. The current site will remain up (though may be a bit slow for a few minutes while it backs up the database.) In my test runs the whole process took about 30min.

If all goes well, your user info will not be changed when data gets updated (so youā€™ll need to reset your password once, but shouldnā€™t need to do it again).

Also, FYI, in the process of redoing the data migration, Iā€™ve set all the dates back 4 years for the beta site (so it runs in 2015, not 2019). If you see anything off, give a shout. :slight_smile:

Sounds great. You are brilliant. About how far through the rewrite do you think you are? I canā€™t wait til weā€™re ready to go live. Everything Iā€™ve seen so far like absolutely awesome.

My high-level to do list consists of: (in no particular order)

auction bidding
training stats details
breeding stats details
weather forecast
training summary
training schedules
jockey list
workouts (manual/auto)
stable taxes
race results (to work with new database)
search race schedule
Breedersā€™ Cup nominations
Breedersā€™ Series nominations
Hypothetical mating
Stable list
Advanced horse search
Hall of Fame
Eclipse Awards
Speed records
Color War

Could probably get by without some of those things initially, and none of them should take too long to do, but itā€™s still a fairly long list. Every year for the past few years in January Iā€™ve said to myself ā€œOK, [year] is going to be the year I finish the beta!ā€ Weā€™ll see if 2015 is the magic year. :wink:

Thatā€™s a long list still to do but what you have done so far with the Beta is incredible, especially considering what youā€™ve gone through in the last year, with getting married, health issues, etc.

Will there be a spot on the stable pages that shows Eclipse awards for Breeder and Stable of the year, like horses get on their highlights page?

Probably - havenā€™t figured out where those should go yet.

I am always excited when there is a little bit of progress with the beta. Let us know if there is anything we can do to help!

We could just put that information in the Stable Description box (I donā€™t remember if there is a maximum character limit in that box).