The Grand National 2018 (Apr. 14) - Tiger Roll & Gaudy Night

Good news! It looked serious.

Yes it did. Nice photo of him on the trainer’s Twitter Page, safely home in his own stable :slight_smile:

We have almost a full field - 13 horses - entered in Final Furlong’s Grand National! Among them NCh. Gaudy Night, the 2019 winner and Steeplechase Horse of the year. If he wins, he will still need another stakes win to qualify for stud. I entered two homebred fillies - 4yo Tipping the Velvet, who seems to like long distance just like her dam. And 3yo Yay or Nay, much less experienced but she won a steeplechase just recently… and happened to be around :stuck_out_tongue: the track is slow, just like it was during that previous race, so maybe that will help her if she likes mud.

Congratulations Lewis for Gaudy Night’s win!

Congrats Lewis! I was quite proud of Papillon managing 3rd.

Thanks.

His record in this race is 2019 (1st), 2020 (3rd), 2021 (4th) and 2022 (1st), so he seems to like this race. Hopefully, we’ll be able to get him the last SW he needs to become Stud-Qualified, in which case he will go to Stud next year.

Not bad for a horse who’s first ever win was in a $30,000 Claiming race, nearly four years ago, and we were lucky that he went unclaimed then. He was a $5,000 purchase from Cricket Hill as a yearling and is named after a horse that my family owned in Jamaica about 40 years ago.