Taxes: A little late and a dollar short...

So we are going to have to

pay taxes on our horses earnings for that year or over all? I wouldn’t think it would make

sense to pay taxes on earnings that weren’t made by my stable. But if your just taxing the

earnings made my my stable for that particular year it makes perfect sense.

Taxes will be based on that

year’s earnings only.

I have no problem with the concept of taxing only earnings when the

horse was owned by you, but the logistics of this is horrendous. The database is already

pushing 20MB in size (total size limit on the server for everything, files/database/etc, is

only 50MB), and I really don’t want to put another table in with massive info on what horse

earned what and with what stable. (Same with studs/broodmares/etc).

I C, so would just a flat

rate be more reasonable? Maybe horses with a particular amount of earnings would be taxed

more. Like have a seperate tax braket except for the horses…for example
Horses with

earnings of $0-$15,000–>500

$15,001-$25,000–>1,000

$25,001-$50,000–>2,000

etc. etc…what about something like that???

And of course it would be more but maybe you could integrate the living expenses and

training of the racehorses for the year into this also. Like increase it by 5,000 for each

horse ontop of their earning bracket. So it would be 5,500 for the first bracket 6,000 for

the second and so on…

Except then you still run

into the same problem…you buy a horse like King David in the select auction (Note: he is

not going to the select auction, so don’t ask :stuck_out_tongue:)…he’s

already earned over $1 million and it’s only March, so theoretically he’d reach at

least $2 million by September…say he earns another $200,000 for you after you buy

him in September. Since he’s earned $2.5mil or so by this point, you get taxed, say,

$200,000. That means that you basically shelled out however much for him AND he earned

you nothing since everything he earned for you had to go towards taxes because his race

earnings were so high.

See what I mean?

(i edited my post, wasn’t

sure you saw)
hmmmm…yes i see what your saying maybe you could still do the racehorse tax

bracket thing but for the earnings that he/she earned for that stable. I guess it’s the

same thing though because you’d just be replacing a percentage with a

bracket…hmmm…unless the taxes are taken out after the horse runs the race. Maybe make

something that will take a percentage out of the horses earnings before they even get into

the stable budget, that way you won’t even have to worry about this and we won’t be in such

money shock at the end of the year…

I think that taxes on what

they earned for you is fair. Was going to say something else to elaborate on my reasoning but

I kinda lost my thought train thingo…

OK…updates:

For

broodmares/foals…whoever will own the foal at the time of birth will pay the BM tax. So if

you sell a mare w/o her next foal, the new owner pays no tax, since that mare basically just

sits around in a field, has a baby, and then the baby’s shipped off to the old owner (who

would pay the stud fee tax on the mare for the year).

Same thing for leased

horses…whoever gets the benefit pays the tax.

Also, there

is another new tax: Sales tax. At the end of the year, you will be charged 5% of the total

income from horse sales for the year.

And another update/clarification: For the "newbie

rule" you take the lesser value of the % tax vs. the flat rate.

For anyone else, you take the higher value…so if you have a

bunch of racers who never earn anything in the year, you still have to pay the flat fee on

them to account for training/board/vet fees, etc.

Haha, I was waiting for the

sales tax! Damn… There goes 5% of the earnings from my annual sale… :stuck_out_tongue:

Hey, can we buy

insurance for our horses? Cos if a good broodmare dies or a good horse conks out on the track

it kinda sucks…

Very sentimental way of

putting it, and the answer for now is “no.” Don’t expect it to change anytime soon. :wink: Too

much else we need/want to add.

(Though of course if you randomly want to give FF large

portions of your money, feel free. You just won’t ever get anything back).