How'd You Do 2017

We were outbid in the above auction and decided that we really wanted Fool’s Kiss (we had leased her for a number of months back in 2013 and she had 3 wins and a 3rd in 4 starts for us, including 1 G1W). We increased our bid for her and ended up winning her for $350,500.

When Shanthi increased the limit of horses we were allowed to purchase, we added two more weanlings to our stable:-
An unnamed 12.1h dk.b.f. by one of our sires GCh. Tottenham Hotspur out of Ch. Legend Jumper. She has been named [color=red]1961 Double Team - $25,000, and,
A 13.1h dk.b.c. by another one of our sires ICh. Magic Glory (G) out of Back North (S) - $100,000. His original name was [color=blue]Celliwig but this has been changed to [color=blue]Aurora Borealis.

All-in-all, we ended up with 7 new horses for $626k and are very satisfied.

I couldn’t resist - I went back for more.  ::)

Two more lovely ladies joined us:

[color=red]Ch. Ruth Sage - a stakes placed created broodmare, not in foal…however, she earned a speed record over 9f dirt and had her best year at age 3, two things I aim to breed for.  I’m hoping she’ll make a nice addition to the broodie team.

[color=red]Magic Feather is an unplaced 3YO who I hope to get sorted out.  Her dam (Long Shot) is an ICh. by Gimme A Shot out of the platinum/reine-de-course mare, Patriot Games.  Her sire is the silver-rated Must Be Magic.  She caught my attention with her pedigree, but what sold me was the potential: she has only had one start this year, and even her ICh. dam never landed in the money at age 2.  We are getting her into training immediately in hopes of figuring out what makes her tick.

Pretty decent haul for way less than we expected to pay.

Nightcross will join her older sister Nighttime Strider on the Hill. We were hoping to snag Nightshade, but she was priced way out of our range. We’re hoping that Nightcross can make back her purchase price both on the track and in the shed. While we have quite a few Cross Roads mares, we don’t have much by Magic Cross so it was time to fix that oversight.

Barton’s Prince comes from the Lady Barton/First Lady dam line, making him a relative of NCh. Government Secret and NCh. The First. His 1/2 brother Ch. Better Loosen Up is a multi-Gr.1 winner under FF management.

Flying Phantom is a 3yo filly by Take Me Away out of Emberinthefire (G). She is 1/2 to Ch. Embrella. Her granddam is NCh. Burning Ember, so we have high hopes for her. She’s been out once, and we’re excited to see how she does.

Well I need money so put 2 of my best bred ones in and sold my colt Magnus to the grey stable,Congrats and  hope he does well for you and hope to see him studifed one day!  No bites on my rare bloodline filly.

I did end up picking  up 2 for $25 k each

[color=red]Vast Park a 2yo Unraced filly by Dark Continent our of Anaton Park both have nice records and she peaked my interest

And formerly unnamed colt  [color=blue]Perfect Saint by Call To War out of Sumday Saint she had some speed records and he’s producing some nice foals so we will see how he does .

I can’t remember that I’ve ever actually participated in the Select Auction, largely due to a lack of funds.  I went in this year with a limit and a few on the wish list.  Came away with several of them, though [color=blue]Edinburgh went out of my price range pretty quickly.  I’d have bid higher on him, but wanted more than one horse. 

I definitely wanted to have a second stallion in house, so once Edinburgh was off the table, I bid on [color=blue]ICh. Almost Precious.  He had a better-than-decent time on the track, winning 10 stakes (including 4 GI’s on the turf).  His first crop are yearlings, so I’m excited to see how they perform in the new year.  Unfortunately, I don’t have any of his babies in my barn yet!  He’ll likely be standing for $5k or $7.5k next season.  Bought for $260,500.

I almost missed one of the horses I’ve been hoping to get my hands on for a while!  [color=red]Ch. Jet Setting Jane was owned by a Color War team I was on years ago (and I submitted her pedigree, when that was still an option).  She did passably well in stakes company as a 3yo, but didn’t race much after that.  Though not currently in foal, she’s only 8 and will hopefully be with us for years to come.  Brought her home for $25,000.

[color=red]Ch. Highland Glory was a somewhat sentimental purchase.  I’ve been a sucker for Highland Pride babies since I acquired [color=green]NCh. Fleet Pride during my first years playing FF.  He was the first racehorse to earn Coleman Branch a good deal of money and is spending his golden years on our back forty.  Glory is a big girl, at 17 hands.  She’s relatively young and came in foal to Dixie Time.  She’s Rogue/Worth, and there’s no denying the success of that cross.  $30,000 snagged her.

The second most expensive purchase was a Silver-ranked broodmare, [color=red]Ready Set Go.  She has interesting lines (1/2 to several Ch.-ranked horses) and a stakes winner from 3 foals to race.  (2/3 winners).  Winning bid was $40,000.

With an already-sizable yearling crop, I didn’t plan to buy any.  However, an A.P. Indy colt caught my eye.  His dam, Pulitzer, is unproven though stakes placed, but the colt himself is 3/4 sib to a couple nice horses.  Formerly unnamed, he is now [color=blue]Perry White.  $25,000.

A last-minute addition after the horse limit was increased, [color=blue]Zip It Up came home for $15,000.  He’s an unraced 2yo, but looks promising as both mom and dad were stakes winners on dirt. 

Grace,

I have already got my (increased) limit in this Auction but, if Shanthi doesn’t increase the limit again (with 1 1/2 days left, there are still 50+ unsold, although 3 of these should go within the next 30 minutes or so), I might be interested in buying her, depending on what you are asking for her.

As Shanthi increased the limit on how many horses we could buy, we added three more to our number.

We bought [color=red]Graceful Cat, a weanling by ICh. Alley Cat (B) out of Charlene (B). She had been consigned by Iron Spur and seemed to have interesting breeding - $150k. Her name has been changed to [color=red]Chunky.

Because we have six stallions currently at our farm and have four more horses stud-qualified which will be probably added for next year (two of them might be put up for Sale at the end of this year), we decided to add a couple more Broodmares to our numbers.

[color=red]Alydar’s Frolic, by Alydar (S) out of Slew o’ Frolics (S). Both of her parents are Silver-Ranked and she herself is Bronze - $50k.
[color=red]Ch. Trafalgar, by NCh. Fleet Street (S) out of Stellar Event (B) - $50k.

Both of the Broodmares are 10yo, so we should be able to get at least 7 more years out of them, and they both came in foal for next year.

Overall, we ended up with 10 new additions (3 Broodmares, 3 unraced 3yo racehorses, and 4 weanlings) at a total cost of $876k.

I hope she does well for you so far there haven been any duds from her lines (Charlene)

I caved and went back for one more.

[color=red]La Infernale, purchased unnamed, was an unplanned purchase but her dam caught my eye. She’s by Octagonal, who has managed 63% winners despite his oldest crop only being 3, and who sadly retired after just 4 crops. She’s out of MSW Ch. Golden Fiddle, whose oldest foal is 3 but already SP while being FF owned. Golden Fiddle is a half-sister to 3 MSW’s including Seattle’s Sunrise whose oldest foal is also 3 and SP. Golden Fiddle’s dam, Devil’s Wench, is by Resident Evil (G) which really caught our eye. We got her for $25,000.

I snagged one more promising yearling filly by going back for one final look…

[color=red]Walking On Air is a grey filly by the Australia-based Express Yourself. Since he is so far from home, I don’t have many homebreds by him, giving me reason to consider her. But it was her dam that convinced me. She is created, without title…but she’s a G1 winner who set 3 speed records (9.5,9.5, and 12f over both dirt and turf). She didn’t run at 2, but had her strongest year at 3. Basically, she’s just what I like. Here’s hoping WOA inherited the talent from BOTH sides of her pedigree!

I’ve had 5 for a few days, with some tentative bidding still ongoing.

With only 10 broodmares before the auction, my main goal was to add some quality broodmares to my stock (or some nice racing mares I can retire soon).

[color=red]Ch. Metroid Fusion, an 8-year-old created broodmare with 4 stakes wins and 4 speed records, unproven as a producer as of yet, for $35,000.

My decision to purchase [color=red]Tundra, a 9-year-old broodmare, was based more on her bloodline (Redwood Prince (G) x Klondike Gold (S)) than her race record, which is unimpressive overall.  However, she was clearly raced past her prime, and her 2-3 year old record is a lot stronger. $25,000.

[color=red]Ch. Llano River (Irish River (G) x Texas Cowgirl (S)) is still racing as a 4-year-old, but depending on how she does on the track following a rest at the farm, she may be bred in the spring. In addition to her nice lines, she is MSP and made a speed record over 15f in January of this year.  $25,000.
[color=red]
Showmethemagic (Gimmeashot (S) x Highland Sorceress §) is a bit young to be thinking of breeding yet, as she is only 3.  She is the last foal of her Platinum-ranked dam, who has produced 6 MSWs and 2 SWs.  As she’s still 2 inches under her expected height, I’m hoping she still needs to mature, and I might see some stakes performance out of her.  Anyway, she’s still NW2-eligible, so hopefully I’ll at least be able to recoop some of my $64,000 purchase price - she was the most expensive horse I bought!

Finally, I picked up a yearling colt (Moonopoly (B) x Deborah), bringing up my yearling total to 3.  His dam is a MSW, and was purchased by Starfish at last year’s select auction for $200k. He has been named [color=blue]Space Race. $31,000.

I own Devils Wench :slight_smile: , I didn’t even notice there was one of her line in the auction