Flat -> Steeplechase Swapping Options

I’d like to see the option to try steeplechasing and not have to commit permenantly. Like many others I have some horses I’d like to try at SC but if they really hated it then they’re lost for good, so I’ve never dared try.
I would be inclined to make it a requirement to do x number of workouts over say a 2 week period before being able to change disciplines either way. It gives a chance to see how a horse is coming along in it’s new role and to get some familiarity and feedback from the jockey. This is nearer to real life where the trainer schools it for the new races and gets some idea of what level to start at.
I would also be inclined to expect that the horse race a minimum of 3 times as a steeplechaser or a flat racer before being able to switch back, keeping it in line with being able to sell the horse etc. and would stop the unrealistic owner changing over every week or so.
So yes, bring on the changes, I can’t wait  :slight_smile:

I like the idea of a minimum number of starts at the discipline each time before switching… or maybe starts/time like with selling?  So your horse has to start at least 3 times OR have been in the discipline for 3 months before you can swap back.  That way if you switch, do some workouts, realize that your horse sucks, you can swap back without having to lose races, but you won’t be switching to try to catch the biggest purse races.

Sounds good.  :slight_smile:

Not sure when I’ll have time to actually write the code to do this :wink:, but hopefully within the next couple of weeks.

It should be a period of 4-5 trainings over a period of 2wks…not 4-5 trainings done it that many days…to hard on real horses…at least that s what I think…

Workouts–I’m thinking about 2-5 workouts? Maybe 5 is too many… Eh. Not sure. I like anything that allows us to switch between SC and Flat though… I think it’s nice to be as flexible as possible, especially if you have maidens starting on SC and they end up not liking it… Eheh. :stuck_out_tongue:

If a maiden has tried dirt, turf, and SC and “not liked” all of them, it probably just doesn’t like racing. :wink:  So swapping it back and forth every week wouldn’t help out much.

I am new but so far I feel that it is the way to go.

I like the idea of swapping back and forth.

The workout #'s would be best.  Say 4 workouts in a period of no less than 2 weeks.  Having 4 workouts in 2 wks could be hard especially if you just got done running them.

I would like to see 4 workouts in the discipline you are changing to but no less than 2 wks to complete it or no time limit.

The 90 days or 3 races in each discipline is a good idea also.

Oh. But I thought… Oh. Yeah. Oops.  -foreheadsmack- Duhhh. :smiley: Nevermind.

i love the idea of being able to switch from jumps to flat and from flat to jumps unlimited amount of times.  it would be a great idea and maybe get some more Chasers in the game?

So, I guess I’m being a bit redundant, but I would just like to say that I like the ideas below:

I would very much appreciate being able to switch. It would make me less terrified to ever switch a horse to SC.

I like the idea of a number of workouts before racing after a switch. I’m not sure I agree with a waiting time, because in real life if you just let your horse sit there for an amount of time being a steeplechaser after a career of flat, it wouldn’t make any difference as opposed to a number of times working over jumps to adjust to the change. Just my thought. I like the numbers 5 workouts for flat to SC, and 3 for SC to flat, or something close.  ;)

And lastly, I like having a minimum number of starts before being able to switch again so that people don’t constantly switch back and forth. And plus, this makes the impatient wait to see if they’re horses are actually good steeplechasers, even if they bombed their first two races. Therefore, I think about 3 to 4 starts (maybe even 5?) before being able to switch would work well.  :)

This is a very exciting idea!  ;D

Number of work outs for me seems a logical way.

Real life this happens fairly regularly, many SCers have a few flat runs to get them fit before racing over the sticks.

I voted for switching and let the topic sit to see everyones reaction.

I ran everything from the 220 to cross country in high school. I tried the hurdles and ended up with a lot of cinders implanted in my body(we didn’t have synthetic tracks  :wink: ) So I believe changing would be similar for a horse. I takes a while to learn to adjust your stride and speed for your take off points. Going from hurdles(for those who could hurdle) to a flat race was no problem.

So I like the idea of a time period and a minimum number of trainings going to jumps.Two weeks and six trainings sounds OK, but I emphasize I should be both training and time because some joker will walk the horse 1 furlong six times in a week or let it sit for 2 weeks and go racing :stuck_out_tongue: I don’t like the idea of messing with fitness. Required time and number trainings should be enough. Training is driving me nuts as it is :stuck_out_tongue: Going from jumps to the flats I would require half the time and trainings. I also believe a set number of races should be required before changing, Three should be the minimum. If we had more steeplechase races I would say 5 races before returning to flat racing. I don’t know how much programing it would involve but jockey comments on the steeplechase training might be a help as mind boggling as they are sometimes :wink:

Just my 2 cents, well more like a quarter ;D

I was wondering on the progress for this…I liked the idea and now I claimed a horse that was put as SC for the race and he is definatly a flat runner…not trying to rush you…just an exaple  :stuck_out_tongue:
I was just wondering on the progress and where we were on it.

There has been none.  It should be a fairly quick thing to do once I have time to do it, but time’s a scarce commodity for me these days.

Cool…I’ll be waiting! :wink:

Awesome!  I can’t wait either.

I don’t have the the vote selection  button on this one…don’t know why
But I like the selection -  number of workouts

:slight_smile:

John Eh

That’s because this was proposed/voted on almost a year ago.  (Which is really sad, since that shows how little time I’ve had to work on the game. :frowning:)

Will this still be a future option?
Time allowing of course.