Cricket Hill 2012 Retirements

Cricket Hill is excited to announce the following additions to its broodmare barn.

GCh. Assault By Numbers–a 2008 mare by Assault out of Candlelight, Assault By Numbers had a really great 4yo year–winning her first stakes, along with multiple open allowances.  She came in 2nd more than she won–always the bridesmaid, never the bride sort of thing.  She will be bred to High Chances for her first foal.

Barely Black–a 2009 filly by Black Knight out of Natural Disaster.  Barely Black’s career showed a lot of promise as a 2yo where she hit the board in all six of her starts, winning half of them.  Unfortunately, tragedy struck in November 2011 when she broke her leg being walked on the track (a freak accident by everyone’s account).  We rehabbed her, and ran her again a year later, but with very little success.  Figuring that she was the kind of horse that had peaked early as a 2yo and early as a 3yo, it didn’t make much sense trying to keep running her.  She will be bred to High Chances for her first foal.

GCh. Firmament–a 2008 mare by Affirmed out of Sunset Beach.  She’s the full sister to NCh. Brilliant Gold, and half-sister to platinum broodmare Fleeting Beauty.  Firmament had an awesome year this year, winning six times, 3 of which were stakes races.  We’re really excited about adding her to our broodmare band. 

GCh. Fit to be Jim–a 2007 mare from created lines, she showed a lot of promise as a 3yo, winning 6 times (3 stakes) and then proceeded to have a lack luster 4yo season (no stakes wins).  We rehauled our training program, and sent her out as a 5yo with better results–2 stakes wins, and 4 wins.  Her lifetime earnings are just shy of $1 million.  She, too, will probably go see High Chances.

NCh. Gotta Be A Natural–a 2007 mare by Distinct Possibility out of Wonder’s Miracle.  At one point, I owned both her and her older brother, Miracle Giver by Point Given.  I’m not sure why I chose to keep her over him, but I definitely don’t regret it.  She has over $1.2 million in earning, 13 wins and 7 stakes wins.  She’s been winning stakes for the Hill since she wad 3 years old and has just been a real consistent runner.  She was a solid dirt sprinter, and we’re super excited to see how she crosses with High Chances.

Ch. Saturnalia–a 2008 mare by Planet Hollywood out of Fleeting Beauty.  She was one of our first homebreds.  She showed promise early, but never launched into high gear.  By the end of her career, she has earned $329,050 and won 1 stakes race.  While definitely not a monster by any sense of the term, we’re really excited to add a little Planet Hollywood to our breeding stock.  Saturnalia will be bred to Nightfight in March.