Breeding Rankings?

I like the idea of the precious metals. Also the titles for really lame horses…we could have Moissanite and stuff. :stuck_out_tongue:

Breeding Rankings are up.  :slight_smile:  634 horses have rankings, based on average race record of foals.

Each raced foal was ranked based on race record (2yos got a bonus b/c, well, they’re 2yos :wink:):
MSW = 20 points (2yos: 20pts)
SW = 10 points (2yos: 13pts)
MSP = 7 points (2yos: 11pts)
SP = 5 points (2yos: 9pts)
Mult. Winner = 3 points (2yos: 7pts)
Winner = 1pt (2yos: 5pts)

The rankings are:
Platinum: Ave points > 12pts - Mares must have at least 2 raced foals to qualify, studs must have at least 10 raced foals to qualify
Gold: Ave points > 8pts - Studs must have at least 5 raced foals to qualify
Silver: Ave points > 4pts
Bronze: Ave points > 0

Current Rankings are:
Platinum: 27 Horses (1 stud)
Gold: 122 Horses (10 studs)
Silver: 254 Horses (69 studs)
Bronze: 231 Horses (57 studs)

Oh, and “anti-rankings” were not implemented, for fear of insulting various horses.  :wink:

Just wondering how Highland Rogue didn’t make Platinum Stud? It’s just confused me a bit as to how the rankings are worked out.

Rogue has a total of 714 points, and 74 foals.  Thus an average of 9.6 points, and a Gold ranking.

(I was surprised, too :wink:  Think the “problem” is that Rogue has really really really nice foals, but only 24 of them, and they don’t get bonus points for being superstars rather than “just” multiple stakes winners)

Wow, really cool system it’s going to be a big help. Now I’m going to have to look up some studs and see where they “stand” just for fun.

this is going to really help newbees pick studs!!! I had a very hard time picking my first stud!

Breeding Rankings are now listed here.  This page is also linked off the “Breeding” page.

Hum, I just thought of something.  Because 2yos receive a boost, it is perfectly possible to have a Gold rated mare this year and have her slip quite a ways back down the next year, right?  And will the new 2yo crop count before they race?  As in:  Mare A has  5 foals, a yearling, a 2yo, a 3yo, a 4yo, and a 5yo.  It is January first, so her 2yo hasn’t raced yet.  Would you divide her points by 4, because she DOES have a 2yo, or by 3, because the 2yo hasn’t raced yet?

It’s worded to make it sound complicated, sorry!

Yes, many high-ranked mares may drop in rankings once they have more than 1 or 2 foals racing.

Rankings are only based on raced foals, so 2yos don’t count until they actually get to the track.

Whoo Hoo!  I got to poking aroudn and discovered that Cigar is a Platinum stud now!  Just thought I’d share the arrival of a new P rated stud with everyone ;D

Hi Shanthi,
I was looking over my stud Devil May Care’s foal list and noticed that he has 13 raced foals and 18.3 is is avg. pts. My question is…shouldn’t DMC be a Platinum ranked stud since the minumum requirement for Platinum studs is 12.1 or am I missing something??

Anyway, just double checking because I’d love to add a Platinum DMC to newly rated Gold What’s Debatable. :wink:

P.S.-Also noticed Irish River has over 10 raced foals, an avg of 17.4pts but is only ranked Gold.

***EDITED TO ADD: Might have found the problem, on the breeding rankings page it shows DMC as having only 4 foals and Irish River as only having 8…

Studs have a minimum # of foals they have to have racing in order to qualify for each level, but I forget how many. 

According to the breed rankings page its 10 “foals”(I’m assuming that refers to raced foals)for studs, 2 “foals” for mares, but maybe 2yo’s don’t count…? I only checked part of the page but also found:
Somethin’ Smokin’(3 raced, 15pts)
Gimme A Shot(10+ raced 14.1pts)
Northern Lady(3 raced 13pts)
Worth My Time(2 raced 13pts)
High Enough(2 raced 13pts)
Wild Highland(2 raced 13 pts)
…all of those are currently gold ranked but according to the requirements at the top of the page should be platinum(min 12.1pts)…again unless I’m missing something or 2yo’s don’t count. :slight_smile: Also, on the breeding rankings page all of those horses, including Irish River and DMC have the incorrect amount of foals listed so maybe with the correct number of foals factored in(if they aren’t being counted) all these horses wouldn’t have such high average pts anyway…

I was just wondering if this was still accurate?

I have a mare that’s breed ranking is wrong. Earlier it said Silver, which is right, and now it is saying she is bronze.

Won’t She Tell(1102):

Says she is bronze with 3.7 avg. points

Really she should be silver with 5.3 avg. pts.

Foal: Fancy Fleet-2009 Mare-MSP-7 pts.
Foal: I Can’t Tell-2010 Mare- Placed- 0 pts.
Foal: Steelaway-2011 Colt-SP-9 pts.
Total Points: 16
Avg Points: 5.33333

You may be asked to report it as a bug.

I know, I just wasn’t sure if it qualified as one or not…

Yes, it would.  As usual, please do not report problems on the forum, it gets lost far too easily.

Just out of curiosity - I have seen references to Stallions being Chef-de-Race and Broodmares being Reines-de-Course.

What do those terms mean (presumably they are some kind of Breeding Ranking) and what qualifications does a horse need to earn these Rankings?