2012 Tax Bug

Okay I appreciate it all too but I’m positive I’m still short about $30,000

After Taxes: $-32,349
Donation: $175,000
After Donation: $112,651  <–This should be $142,651
Total Spent 1/1 through 1/4: $87,400 (including the $30,000 spent on [color=blue]Filibuster)
Amount In Bank: $25,251
My end total in my account should be $55,251 making it $30,000 that vanished, and it seemed to happen after I bought [color=blue]Filibuster from the Storybook Auction, so I’m not sure what happened.

Sorry to be a pain but my budget also seems to be still way out. The taxes look pretty much ok but on 24 dec 2012 I had a balance of $368,411 again about right. on 25 Dec $1,000 was spent on Tear Jerker but the balance shown is MINUS  $134,898 a drop of $503,309!!! This is very close to my total taxes of $508,659 which was charged on 31 dec. Could I have been charged twice?
Before the new year I had looked at taxes and saw I should have been around 40,000 in debt so I sent a contribution to get 100,000 expecting to be about 60,000 infront. (Then there was the rebate shown for shipping and if that is taken off for 2012 when I paid $529200 in shipping I should have had 50,000 more)
My stable page shows me 92,000 in debt and I can see no way that this should be possible.  :astonished: I can’t breed mares or enter races -please let me know what has happened so I can continue the game as soon as possible

Fixed.

Fixed.

Fixed.

Fixed.

Many thanks!

Thanks!

Thank you so much, Shanthi.  I really appreciate it.  :slight_smile:

Shanthi, just when you thought that this issue had been put to bed, it has raised it’s ugly head again. While I appreciate that you have worked hard to get this sorted out. I still have a couple of questions about my budget.

1. How does the Tax Rebate for Shipping show up. When I View my Stable Budget, I see individual entries for the different Tax categories, however, none of them say anything about a Tax Rebate. Is there a specific entry for it or is it just deducted from the Racehorse Tax amount?

2. What exactly is this Rebate calculated on? Does it just include Shipping to Racetracks for races or does it include all shipping and does it include when you ship your horses back to your Stables so they can have a rest. In addition, does it only include when you enter a horse in a race and that horse has to be shipped to the racetrack as part of the entry procedure, or does it also include if you go to your Stables shipping page and actively ship a horse to a different location?

My Taxes, as deducted from my Budget, are different from what I calculated they should be. I had sent you an email showing you how I had calculated my Racehorse Tax and in your reply (which I read when I first received it and now unfortunately I cannot find anywhere), you said that the difference is the shipping Rebate. My overall Shipping Costs for last year were $644,000 and 10% of that is $64,400, however, the difference between what I calculate my racehorse Tax should be and what was actually taken out as Racehorse Tax is only about $5,000. My calculated Shipping Costs include all horses to every place they were shipped and includes Broodmares being shipped to whichever Stallion they were being bred to and then shipped back to my Farm after they were certified In Foal, also horses being shipped back to my Farm for a rest and then shipped to a racetrack when their rest was over. I tend to plan which race my horses are going to run in next pretty much as soon after their most recent race as I can, and, if their next planned race is going to be at a different track, I will ship them to this “new” track straight away, so that they have time to get acclimatized to the new environment and racing surface. Hence, more often than not, by the time the race entries open for the races I’m interested in for my horses, they have already been shipped to the track and don’t need to be shipped again as part of the Race Entry procedure.

1. I have not yet received an answer about the question I asked you about the Broodmare Tax. At the end of 2012, I had eleven Broodmares that had been bred during the year (nine of which I had bred and the other two were acquired during the year from various auctions and were already In Foal when I bought them). In addition, I had one Broodmare that had not been bred as she had been a Racehorse during the year and I had switched her to Broodmare a couple of days after Christmas, so she was a Broodmare (however not In Foal) on Dec 31st. I also had a Broodmare that had been switched to Broodmare on or about Jan 1st or 2nd this year but had still been a Racehorse on December 31st. As of Jan 5th I had a total of thirteen Broodmares and was charged $39,000 Broodmare Tax on this basis (13 x $3,000). According to what I had read on one of the Forum message boards (I don’t remember which one - it may even have been in the FAQ), I got the impression that this tax was only levied on Broodmares that were bred during the year, therefore, I should not have been charged for the two unbred ones, and certainly not the one who was switched in January. With regards to the two Broodmares that I bought during the year, I assume that, even though I didn’t breed them, I’m still responsible for their Broodmare Tax as I was the owner on Dec 31st.

I have seen a number of people writing to say that their Budget was incorrect as a result of having acquired horses in the Stillwater Farm Lease. I know that you don’t like to have loads of people posting about the same “bug”, so I didn’t mention that I had the same problem, thinking that, you would find the bug, fix it and everybody’s problem would be corrected. However, while you seem to have fixed their errors, it seems that it was just done on a one-off basis, i.e you fixed it for those people who told you it was a problem and not done a “generic fix”. I had leased one of the Stillwater horses and, even though the Budget Item description says that I was charged $5,000 for it, my budget went from $704,883 to $669,883, a difference of $35,000.

I wonder if this problem didn’t arise out of the fact that everybody’s 2012 End-of-Year Balances (which I assume were automatically carried over to be their 2013 Start-of-Year Balances) were adjusted a number of times with all the fixes you were having to make for the Tax Bug and maybe one or more of the adjustments didn’t get automatically carried over to the 2013 S-O-Y Balances at the same time.

I would be very grateful if you could please look into these when you have a chance. There is no rush as, unlike some of the people who reported problems earlier, the errors haven’t put me in a negative position (although I know you’ve said that you like to try and fix any reported errors ASAP before you forget about them).

Thanks and once again, thanks again for all you do to try and keep this running smoothly and make it enjoyable for all of us.

The latter.  I don’t want to add in 150 more budget entries just to say that you got a rebate on shipping.

It looks for any budget entries with the word “Shipping” and the horse’s name.  If it finds any, it deducts 10 or 20% of that.

It goes through and looks for any budget entries for breeding a mare.  (So if you breed Mare A and then sell her, you still get taxed on having “used” her during the year.)  Then it goes through and finds any broodmares that you own that weren’t bred, and charges you for them.  The reason you got charged for your broodmares you retired in January is because there is no record of when a mare retired, so whatever mares were broodmares on the day the tax script ran were what you got charged for.  This falls under the “I really don’t give a crap” section of money & bugs, which is in the announcements forum.

Fixed.

OK, because I don’t want to keep adjusting peoples’ budgets for months on end, you will have until the end of January to report budget problems.

(I have attempted to just fix this with a code script, but so far, no luck.)

If you don’t report budget discrepancies by the end of January, sorry, but you’re out of luck.

I have pulled up all my budget entries for 2012 with the word “Ship” and a horses name and I got a massive number of entries with “Shipped xxx from yyy to zzz”, however, none with “Shipping”. The total of these entries came to the same $644,000 that I had calculated. Could that be the problem, i.e. that the program is looking for entries saying “Shipping” to calculate the Tax Rebate, but the Budget entries say “Shipped”?

Anyhow, thanks for answering my questions and for fixing the last problem about the lease. I understand what you are saying about the Broodmares and can live with it. I will have to remember not to change any of my fillies to broodmare before the middle of January next year so I don’t have this problem again.

I’m at work, and didn’t bother looking at the code.  The actual code searches for “Shipped”, not “Shipping”.

Ok, I understand, but let’s think another stable joined on Jan. 2 - so 3 days after mine - it means that stable will have 2 FULL years till the first full taxes… So what is the difference between me and that other stable - both of us newbies!! I think I also have a right to have the NEWBIE tax discount at the first year in the game…

I doubt that it will, you cease being a newbie after 6 months so by dec 31 2013 neither of you would be newbies, neither of you would get the newbie discount. So far as I am aware no-one gets 2 years discount. You still have all this year to get your budget sorted out which is more than you would if you had joined in say June when you would cease being a newbie in November and therefore pay full taxes in December after playing for just the 6 months.
Shanthi has tried to make this game as fair as possible but sometimes you get to lose a bit and sometimes you gain a bit - I have done both. You are actually gaining as you will play a whole year before tax comes due - so please a little less about your “rights” it is only a game, not real life, chill out, have fun, enjoy your horses  8)

Hope you enjoy the game and have some good runners

I joined Dec21 and my stable budget indicates I paid  $267 racehorse tax for the year 2012
The stable taxes indicate this year I will be paying $5000 per racehorse. This gives me a year to get my finances together.

Hopefully I can … :slight_smile:

John

You have a valid point, but there needs to be a cutoff somewhere.  The rule right now is that every new stable gets one set of taxes at a discount.  You happened to get taxes that would’ve been very small anyway for free as your discount.

If you would like, I’m happy to reset your stable (budget, new horses, etc) so that you have all of 2013 to earn your newbie tax discount.

Shanthi, thanks a lot, but I already bought some runners and I’d like to keep them. :wink: I was only wondering if it’s supposed to be like that or not.

Thanks for a good advice - I’m already relaxed and enjoying the game :wink: